Ideas on balancing databases across 3 servers?

• We have 3 DB servers in our application with about 60 databases spread among the servers. I'm looking for ideas on balancing the load on the servers. Database sizes are 500MB to 45GB and of course size needs to be considered so I can fit things, but what else can I base this on? Number of transactions? Connnections? Any perfmon statistics I can capture to help me out?

Any and all ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Jim

• Assuming that you have no storage or server performance limitations, I would spread the balance by DB server processing requirements.

If you have all of your high useage databases (transactions or server processing scripts) on one server, you are wasting the processing power of the other servers and shortening the lifecycle of the overworked server. 

• I think you'll have to just make guesses based on sizes and then queries / sec for them. The best thing you can do, however, is setup internal DNS entries for each server and have clients connect using those names. That way if you need to rebalance, you can move the db and repoint clients with one network change rather than changing each client.

• I was looking at Perfmon's SQLServer Databases Transactions/Sec - is that a good counter?

We do sorta have the clients setup that way, the customer record has the database to connect to, I just need to move the database and then update the customer record.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply