I can't create a database T__T

• Hi there,

Merry Christmas you al!!!

I just downloaded and installed sql server 2005 management studio express on my new laptop... (Vista OS with SP 1) i haven't configured or altered any settings yet but i can't create a simple database.

I used windows authentication

and just run something like this

CREATE DATABASE TestDB

and this is what I get

Msg 262, Level 14, State 1, Line 1

CREATE DATABASE permission denied in the database 'master'

I usually work with XP... is that the problem??? Vista???

T___T Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Everyone and have a merry Christmas and a joyful new year.

"Press any key...
    Where the heck is the any key?
    hmmm... Let's see... there's ESC, CTRL, Page Up...
    but no any key"
    - Homer Simpson
  • i think it's Vista;

compared to XP, where every login was also an admin, didn't Vista remove some rights you might expect by default for security purposes? so your login has rights to a lot of stuff, but not an admin.

Since you are connecting via login and not as a SQL user, I think that's the issue.

if your login on your vista machine is not in the Administrators group, you can probably connect, and the missing admin rights prevent you from creating a database(and probably backup and restore as well)

try

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Vista users run as low privelege normally, what does sql authentication produce running the same statement?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• I haven't used vista so far but i have seen other ppl using it and what they were doing is they were opening application like SSMS as Administrator. Basically what they did was Right Click on SSMS and select open as Administrator or something similar to it.

• 😀 Man, I love you guys!!!

Thanks!

:)Hi sqlizer, i tried the rightclick then open as administrator... :w00t:IT WORKED ^__^ Wohooo!!! Thanks!!!:hehe:

Thanks Guys!!! ^__^

:w00t:Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to you all!!!:w00t:

"Press any key...
    Where the heck is the any key?
    hmmm... Let's see... there's ESC, CTRL, Page Up...
    but no any key"
    - Homer Simpson

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply