How to write a check constraint

• I have a table that has 3 values

Sitefk int

ContentGroupID int default(0)

ContentTypeFk int default(0)

I am trying to write a table wide check constraint that does the following.

There must be a value that is > 0 in either ContentGroupID or ContentTypeFk but not both at the same time.

Also both ContentGroupID and ContentTypeFk cant be 0 at the same time.

So

ContentGroupID = 7, ContentTypeFk = 0 OK

ContentGroupID = 0, ContentTypeFk = 7 OK

ContentGroupID = 7, ContentTypeFk = 7 NOT ALLOWED

ContentGroupID = 0, ContentTypeFk = 0 NOT ALLOWED

Everyone I try when entering test data in Enterprise manager, it pops up the check constaint error warning but then when I reset the values to those that should be ok it won't let me update, saying the rows have been changed.

Can anyone give me a hand. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

• IF EXISTS (SELECT FROM dbo.SysObjects WHERE XType 'U' AND Name 'tblDemo')

DROP TABLE dbo.tblDemo

GO

CREATE TABLE dbo.tblDemo

(

Sitefk INT NOT NULL

, ContentGroupID INT NOT NULL CONSTRAINT DF_tblDemo_ContentGroupID DEFAULT(0)

, ContentTypeFk INT NOT NULL CONSTRAINT DF_tblDemo_ContentTypeFk DEFAULT(0)

, CONSTRAINT CK_tblDemo_ContentGroupID_ContentTypeFk_EitherIsSet CHECK ((ContentTypeFk OR ContentGroupID 0) AND ContentTypeFk ContentGroupID 0)

)

INSERT INTO dbo.tblDemo (SiteFKContentGroupIDContentTypeFkVALUES (107)

--OK

INSERT INTO dbo.tblDemo (SiteFKContentGroupIDContentTypeFkVALUES (170)

--OK

INSERT INTO dbo.tblDemo (SiteFKContentGroupIDContentTypeFkVALUES (177)

--FAILS

DROP TABLE dbo.tblDemo

• On a side note. The advantage of using a trigger for such validation is that you can return a custom error message. Something you couldn't do with the check constraint I posted. However both would do the job just fine.

• CHECK ((ContentTypeFk OR ContentGroupID 0) AND ContentTypeFk ContentGroupID 0)

I like the multiplies to 0 check, very clever. You could also write the check constraint like this:

CHECK (ContentTypeFk + ContentGroupID 0 AND ContentTypeFk ContentGroupID 0)

• Thanx for the appreciation.  I had also considered you version, but I didn't like the fact that I couldn't reverse engineer the constraint to understand the business rule.  And since I can't put a comment in a check constraint (AFAIK), I decided to make it just a little easier to understand.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply