how to tune this query

• The following query when executed will involve in a bookmark look up ,how to avoid bookmark look up for this query

SELECT

T1.CONFLICT_ID,

CONVERT (VARCHAR (10),T1.LAST_UPD, 101) + ' ' + CONVERT (VARCHAR (10),T1.LAST_UPD, 8),

CONVERT (VARCHAR (10),T1.CREATED, 101) + ' ' + CONVERT (VARCHAR (10),T1.CREATED, 8),

T1.LAS

T1.CREATED,

T1.MODIFICAT

T1.ROWD,

T1.STD_NIT,

T2.CURCYD,

T1.PRI_D,

T2.SUBTYPE

T1.PRI_METH

T1.PRODID,

T1.CONTRACTPRICE,

T1.XGROUPPRICE,

T1.XLIST_PRICE,

T1.SVCPERMT,

T1.SVC_PERCT,

T1.VOL_DISID,

T3.DISCNT_CD

FROM

dbo.S_PRILSTITEM T1

INNER JOIN dbo.SPRILST T2 ON T1.PRI_D = T2.ROWD

LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.SVOLDISCNT T3 ON T1.VOL_DISID = T3.ROWD

WHERE

(T1.PRI_D = '5-4-330')

Thanks in advance

• A bookmark lookup means that SQL Server must read from the data pages to handle the query. The only way to avoid a bookmark lookup is to use a covering index. This is great in theory, but in the real world, you don't want a covering index for every query that you are running so you use them when needed to improve performance.

You mentioned that this query produces a bookmark lookup. Is this query performing poorly or did you just notice that it was performing a bookmark lookup? If it performing OK, leave it alone. If it is a dog, look at adding a coverinng index.

John Rowan

======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• Thanks for your suggestion. The query is performing ok.

• I am new to sql server. Can you please how to create a covering index? on whic columns?

• Here is a quote from the BOL:

Covered queries can improve performance. Covered queries are queries where all the columns specified in the query are contained within the same index. For example, a query retrieving columns a and b from a table that has a composite index created on columns a, b, and c is considered covered. Creating indexes that cover a query can improve performance because all the data for the query is contained within the index itself; only the index pages, not the data pages, of the table must be referenced to retrieve the data, thereby reducing overall I/O. Although adding columns to an index to cover queries can improve performance, maintaining the extra columns in the index incurs update and storage costs.

-End of quote

Basically a covered index is another term for a composite index.

-SQLBill

• SQLBill (12/17/2007)

Here is a quote from the BOL:

Covered queries can improve performance. Covered queries are queries where all the columns specified in the query are contained within the same index. For example, a query retrieving columns a and b from a table that has a composite index created on columns a, b, and c is considered covered. Creating indexes that cover a query can improve performance because all the data for the query is contained within the index itself; only the index pages, not the data pages, of the table must be referenced to retrieve the data, thereby reducing overall I/O. Although adding columns to an index to cover queries can improve performance, maintaining the extra columns in the index incurs update and storage costs.

-End of quote

Basically a covered index is another term for a composite index.

-SQLBill

one that includes (or covers) all of the columns from that table being used in the query.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Just curious, what are you trying to achieve with these two statements?

CONVERT (VARCHAR (10),T1.LAST_UPD, 101) + ' ' + CONVERT (VARCHAR (10),T1.LAST_UPD, 8),

CONVERT (VARCHAR (10),T1.CREATED, 101) + ' ' + CONVERT (VARCHAR (10),T1.CREATED, 8),

From what I see you're converting a field to retrieve just the date and then concatenating it with the time from the same field. If the field already has the date and time, why the need for the converts?

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• This query is given to me by the developer, so i dont know why he is using this convert statemens.

i created a covering index for table T1,but still it uses bookmark lookup to retrieve data from table T1

why is it so?

• p1naga (12/18/2007)

This query is given to me by the developer, so i dont know why he is using this convert statemens.

i created a covering index for table T1,but still it uses bookmark lookup to retrieve data from table T1

why is it so?

Try removing the convert statements and running the query. I think that they are probably causing the bookmark lookup.

It looks like the developer is trying to do formatting using T-SQL and this is the wrong place for formatting.

• Also - you will want to make sure you use the appropriate column ordering for it. The first ones mentioned should be the ones used in the joins and the WHERE statement (since you don't have order by or group by), then followed by the others. If you don't order them correctly - the query analyzer won't see any reason to use the index.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Are any of the items in the FROM clause actually views instead of tables?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• p1naga (12/17/2007)

Thanks for your suggestion. The query is performing ok.

If its performing OK, then leave the index as it was. A massive, great covering index (especially in SQL 2000) may gain you a small amount of time, but at a cost of more disk usage and more overhead for updates/inserts

Unless the bookmark lookup is a bottleneck in the query, leave it alone. Especially if you're retrievign a small number of rows. There are worse ways to run a query

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I agree with Gail here. That is why I asked the question initially. The simple fact is that 'if it's not broke, don't fix it'! You could end up indexing your entire database if you think you need to prevent every bookmark lookup that you come accross.

John Rowan

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• Heh... on the other side of the coin, how do you know it's not broke unless you try to fix it. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• You don't. But one's time is, unfortunately limited, and a more productive use of one's time may be to fix the things that are known to be broke, before investigating the things that just might be broke. 😉

Besides, there are enough ways to check. If the query's not running excessively long, or doing large number of IOs 1, and if the bookmark lookup isn't at least 85% of the total query's cost, leave the poor thing alone :hehe:

(1): Relative to other queries in the system and based on user perception, among other things.

Seriously, though. To justify a covering index of around 15 columns, on SQL 2000, the query would have to be a really badly performing one. In my opinion, that is.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply