How to transfer tables from two oracle version on different servers to one server having SQL Server 2005

• Hi,

I have two database servers on different machines. They are

1) Oracle 8.1.7.4

2) Oracle 7.3.1.4

I have to create agents which can transfer tables from these two databases to one machine having sql server 2005 database.

Please tell me what are the options. What drivers i need to install on machine having sql server 2005 so that i can transfer data from both oracle versions.

Thanks

Rajneesh.

• Hello,

Have you considered setting up the Oracle Servers as Linked Servers within your SQL Server and then scheduling a job to retrieve the data into SQL Server (on a regular basis)?

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu
    SQL Server Luxembourg User Group

• Hi John,

Please do not mind it. I am new to oracle. What do u mean by "Oracle Servers as Linked Servers within your SQL Server".

What I have is:

Given versions of oracle on two different machines.

and SQL Server 2005 on third machine.

I can do any thing on 3rd machine having SQL Server 2005 because oracle machines are for production database and I do not have access to these . I can do any thing on 3rd machine.

Please guide me what I have to do.

• Hi,

In my opinion you have two options - one is linked servers, second is SSIS.

Linked servers can be more problematic I think, regarding version of Oracle and you might run into strange driver related errors.

I would recommend SSIS in your case.

Regards

Piotr

...and your only reply is slàinte mhath

• Hi PIOTR,

Thanks very much for ur reply, I was also thinking this, using ADO dot net provider for ODBC.

Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply