How to prevent users to edit DTSX package

• Dear all

I provide a DTSX package (SQL 2008) to users and they can run via command "dtexec" in their server when ever they want.

I don't want that they can edit my DTSX so I setup password for this DTSX.

But when they execute via "dtexec" they have to have this password, so they know this password and can edit my DTSX

Please help me to prevent users to edit DTSX package

Thanks

• I'd keep it out of their hands to start with!

is there a reason why the users have it vs a scheduled job?

• How about setting it up as a SQL Agent job with no schedule that runs the package under a proxy account and giving them permission to execute the job with the lowest possible sql agent role in msdb?? Then you can remove their SSIS operator permissions.

• @herladygeekedness: user can run it anytime not in plan so I don't want to use schedule

@P Jones: I want to use the simplest way, just install SQL Integration service and use command line as BAT file to run

Finally I find out the solution: I create another package without password inside that calls (executes) my package with password.

So users can execute new package without password (in fact they execute my real package) from command line.

• thang_ngo_2002 (5/15/2012)

@herladygeekedness: user can run it anytime not in plan so I don't want to use schedule

@P Jones: I want to use the simplest way, just install SQL Integration service and use command line as BAT file to run

Finally I find out the solution: I create another package without password inside that calls (executes) my package with password.

So users can execute new package without password (in fact they execute my real package) from command line.

Heh. That's a cute trick. Of course they could still edit your new package, get the password from it, and then use that to edit your original package. ... :w00t:

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• No, my new package just refers to the old package, when you want to edit the old, it requires you to input the password.

• nice!!! seems a bit like the old shell game and I admire the simple bit of trickery. Wish I would have come up with it!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply