How to perform an update to an old record when inserting new record in same table using merge, when the ON clause matches only some of the key fields.

• I have a table that contains records which has a primary key consisting of a memberID, enrollmentID and enrollmentStartDate. In that table there is a field call primaryflag that is set to 1 if it is the member's primary enrollment record and needs to be set to 0 when a new record with the same memberID, but new enrollmentID and enrollmentStartDate is inserted into the table. How can I do this with either the MERGE functionality or some other update process in T-SQL. I thought I was pretty good at T-SQL, but this has me stumped. The problem is that a member could have any number of enrollments even if the enrollmentTermDate is long gone, but the member can only have 1 primary enrollment. All enrollment history has to be kept in the same table.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hawkeye

Hawkeye67

• Additional information: I only want to updated the most recent existing record and not all of the existing records pertaining to the target memberID. Otherwise, I am updating all of the records in a very large table consisting of 15 - 20 million records.

Hawkeye67

• You could use the OUTPUT clause:

DROP TABLE #MemberEnrolments

CREATE TABLE #MemberEnrolments (MemberID INT NOT NULL, EnrollmentID INT NOT NULL, enrolmentStartDate DATE NOT NULL, primaryflag BIT)

ALTER TABLE #MemberEnrolments --WITH NOCHECK

ADD CONSTRAINT PK_MemberID_EnrollmentID_enrollmentStartDate PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED (MemberID, EnrollmentID, enrolmentStartDate)

DROP TABLE #inserts

CREATE TABLE #inserts (MemberID INT NOT NULL, EnrollmentID INT NOT NULL, enrolmentStartDate DATE NOT NULL)

INSERT INTO #MemberEnrolments (MemberID, EnrollmentID, enrolmentStartDate, primaryflag)

OUTPUT inserted.MemberID, inserted.EnrollmentID, inserted.enrolmentStartDate INTO #inserts

SELECT 1,11,GETDATE()-20,1 UNION ALL

SELECT 2,4,GETDATE()-10,1

UPDATE m SET primaryflag = 0

FROM #MemberEnrolments m

INNER JOIN (

SELECT m.MemberID, EnrollmentID = MAX(m.EnrollmentID)

FROM #MemberEnrolments m

INNER JOIN #inserts i ON i.MemberID = m.MemberID AND m.EnrollmentID < i.EnrollmentID

GROUP BY m.MemberID

) x ON x.MemberID = m.MemberID AND x.EnrollmentID = m.EnrollmentID

SELECT * FROM #MemberEnrolments

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Thank you Chris M. Will be giving this a try later today. Will keep you posted on how I do. Thanks again.

Hawkeye67

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply