How to open .rdl to view xml in BIDS rather than in notepad

• I keep trying to open the .rdl file i have to take a look at some of the .xml and i know note pad works just fine, but i don't know why it all of a sudden opens in notepad instead of in bids like it used to. I know you don't exactly know my computer's file system very well, but i figure on install the files and folders for Microsoft SQL Server and pretty much the same. So i was wondering what the path is to open in MS Visual Studio 9.0 when you right click the .rdl and hit open with and go to browse.

Any help would be appreciated thanks! Also let me know if this is NOT the right place to put this question.

• if you are on Windows 7, then right click on the file and choose

open with --> choose default program and select visual studio (BIDS)

threre is also a check box at the bottom to always associate this file with the program. check this box.

other os's may be different but the concept will be the same.

• I've tried that, i've even used this c:\Program Files (x86)\microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\common7\ide\devenv.exe when trying to open with but its not working as it should.

The text is just black and white and i know that's not how it should be because key words turn red, and links turn blue and its not working this way.

• have you accidently changed the extension to .txt ? so even bids thinks its a txt file.

maybe you have something like reportname.rdl.txt

turn on the view in explorer so than you can see the extensions and check

• unfortunately no. They are all still .rdl files. Along with this i've attached what my .rdl file icon looks like, and what i know it SHOULD look like.

I've also included a view of what it looks like in BIDS when i have a solution file open. It's changed all those icons too.

One final attachment, On the left is what the xml should look like in the editor. on the right is what mine looks like now when i open it.

I went ahead and posted this into the XML forum as well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply