How to move SQL Server engine, databases, jobs to a new server?

• Hi friends!

I have a new hardware to migrate all databases, engine, jobs, maintenance plans, dblinks and so on. I will install this server With Win2003, SQL2000 SP3, like the old server.

So, the question is, what is the best way to move all the 'SQL Architecture' from one server to the other (New server, not running SQL yet)

I found this on Support page:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=314546#top

is this the best way?

Thanks for help

• Is the old server is going away?

• Yes... i will replace the old server

• Martin,

That's just about the best article you'll find.  I've used all three methods (detach/attach, export/import, backup/restore) to move databases and they all work.  You may get other suggestions for how to move jobs, DTS packages, etc. but you can't go wrong with scripting them out as the KB article describes.

Greg

Greg

• For logins  You can scripts them (using Query Analyser) this will eliminate Orphaned Users section

Kindest Regards,

Amit Lohia

• Thanks for the information, but what do you think about this article?

http://vyaskn.tripod.com/moving_sql_server.htm

Thanks for the advices...

• Hello Martin,

The original KB article that you have listed contains good information on how to move your databases, DTS packages and jobs to the new server and it also contains a very good link to a KB Article on how to move the logins.  I've used the sp_help_revlogin for a long time without having problems with orphaned users. 

thx

debrunkle  

Deborah Runkle

• Thanks for the advice, i want to tell everybody that the article i have published (how to move the whole SQL to another HW), works fine on a SQL 2000 SP3 + Analisys services SP3.

Just, stop the services on both servers, copy the entire MSSQL folder to the target, start the service on the target server, run the SP_ADDSERVER and SP_DROPSERVER to re-register with the new name (if u dont rename the new server with the name of the original server) a restart the machine.

Regards.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply