How to manage a SQL 6.5 database in SQL Server Management Studio

• I have inherited a database that is on SQL Server 2000 but remains configured as “Database compatibility level 65”. Apparently it needs to be this way since the client application expects it. (Yes, there is a plan for upgrade). Since I love the new features of the SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) I tried to connect to that database. The connection/permission is fine. However, when I expand the databases I am unable to expand this 6.5 database. It just shows a (65) next to its name not allowing me to get at the tables, view, stored procedures, etc. I am able to do a new Query and get at the table information though.

Is there anyway I can make SSMS display this in the tree view?

• Not that I am aware of. SSMS will only display 2000 and above.

• Jack's right. SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager is the latest management console that will support SQL 6.5 instances

• Thank you. I figured as much, but nice to get confirmation from a group. It is unfortunate that we are stuck with the 6.5 compatibility because of a vendor who is taking far too long to upgrade the client application. The target for the .NET platform keeps getting pushed out.

Again thank you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply