How To Kill UNICODE???

• I can't believe I have to ask this...

Start off points:

• We don't do anything in any other language than English, Never Will!
    • We don't have unlimited storage space to waste so we can prose in any language on earth.
    • Bigger storage requires more time to retrieve
    • I don't control the settings on the SQL Server I have to use

With that in mind how the hell do I convince a Data Flow object with an OLE DB connection that when I grab data out of a table in SqlServer that is of type VARCHAR that I really, really, really prefer it NOT to change it to UNICODE because it will be going to a Data Flow destination (OLE DB to a SQL Server table) that is non-unicode!

Why force me to create a data conversion or go into the source object to convert ALL the OUTPUT column propties back to VARCHAR??????

This unicrap stuff is causing so much extra work and really starting to piss me off. I just want to use non-unicode and it won't leave it alone!

• Can you be a little more clear on the steps you're trying to implement and/or the requirement. I've never had to  make the adjustments you're referencing, and I use VARCHAR all the time.

• Either SSIS is very confused about the data type mappings or the columns you are referencing are indeed, Nvarchar.

Cheers,CrispinI can't die, there are too many people who still have to meet me!It's not a bug, SQL just misunderstood me!

• Instead of defaulting to Nvarchar can we make the default Varchar?

• There is really nothing to add or clarify. The OLE DB source adaptor automatically sets a string stream to DT_WSTR (UNICODE). Period. No exceptions. So, now if you don't want it (the UNICODE), you have to pump it thru a data converter to get non-unicode strings. Pain in the #$(# considering neither the REAL source of the data, or destination is using UNICODE. What a waste of horsepower.

I'm done with this topic and moving on.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply