how to join two tables from different servers

• hi!

i m trying to join two tables in different databases from different machines on LAN. i couldn't get it. i m using sql 2005.

it was ok to join two tables of different databases on lacal machine.

can anyone help me ?

• Hi Friend,

You can do that. Refer sp_addlinkedserver in the SQL Books online or the microsoft site or you google.

Thanks & Regards

Chandra Mohan N

[font="Verdana"]Thanks
    Chandra Mohan[/font]

• Create linked server with sproc sp_addlinkedserver - also you may need to create linked server login using sp_addlinkedsrvlogin see SQL docs for info on both of these.

Then to assuming your current server needs to link to linked server linksvr you would select from that using e.g.

select * from linksvr.database.dbo.tablename

4 part dotted is server.database.owner.table

To join to local table would be e.g.

Select * from localtable l inner join linksvr.database.dbo.tablename r on l.key=r.key

If it gets into a transaction you will need to ensure distributed transaction coordinator (MSDTC) setup properly both ends

• While the linked server is the best option for that, do not forget to give the credentials on which the linkedserver should run which otherwise would give you a security exception. The credentials can be given in the properties of the linked server object.

• You can also use OPENDATASOURCE or OPENROWSET without having to create a linked server.

Ex from Books Online:

with OLE DB provider for MS SQL

SELECT a.*

FROM OPENROWSET('SQLOLEDB','seattle1';'sa';'MyPass',

'SELECT * FROM pubs.dbo.authors ORDER BY au_lname, au_fname') AS a

or

with OLE DB Provider for ODBC

SELECT a.*

FROM OPENROWSET('MSDASQL',

'DRIVER={SQL Server};SERVER=seattle1;UID=sa;PWD=MyPass',

pubs.dbo.authors) AS a

ORDER BY a.au_lname, a.au_fname

Don't just give the hungry man a fish, teach him how to catch it as well.

the sqlist

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply