How to change the Domain Groups in Cluster Security Policy after installation

• Hello All,

My motive here is to look for a means to change the Security domain groups that are used for the Clustering services, after the installation is performed.

These security domain groups are to be entered while installation is performed and I am trying to look forward to some means by which while installation is performed I can enter a pre created group name for these and later change it to a new group name that I have created post installation.

Any one has any ideas?

• you can change the sql service accounts in the usual mannner, although I'd advise caution. Never tried to change a cluster service account - not something I'd want to try in windows 2008 / R2.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• the recommendation for clustered environment is you've the account service and domain group defined! before of implementation of cluster!!

in order to avoid a change!

[font="Times New Roman"]rfr.ferrari[/font]
    DBA - SQL Server 2008
    MCITP | MCTS

remember is live or suffer twice!
    the period you fastest growing is the most difficult period of your life!
  • rahulr.sharma (6/2/2011)

Hello All,

My motive here is to look for a means to change the Security domain groups that are used for the Clustering services, after the installation is performed.

These security domain groups are to be entered while installation is performed and I am trying to look forward to some means by which while installation is performed I can enter a pre created group name for these and later change it to a new group name that I have created post installation.

Any one has any ideas?

Are you using Windows 2003?

If not why did you not elect to use the service account SID based security during install?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Its my Organizations policy to add a new Cluster Security Group for every installation and then register the same domain accounts.

Mostly the workflow is where I install the SQL cluster on a Windows Clustered environment and then another team will change the service account later the password for which can not be shared with me due to some policies.

In this case also as the domain group that I enter during installation is also just a test account and the general workflow would be where I would just enter a test domain account during installation and then later the concerned team will change this account and register it on our domain. The team is only handling the id/accounts so they have no idea how to get it done in case of SQL server which coincidently is the same condition for me.

Once I get to know a solution to this again the workflow would be for me to install the stand alone/clustered instance and then later the team will change the service account in case of a stand alone and the service account and the domain accounts in case of a Cluster.

Hope the above makes some sense, if not ill try to come up with something more explainable.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply