How many environments?

• Daily build and prototyping (local)

Team development

QA

UAT

Production

Disaster Recovery (ostensively)

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• For development purposes we have 4 environments

Development

Testing

Staging

Production

We also have an additional environment for our code repository to keep track of code changes. There is an optional training environment that is set up to give a sandbox for end users to learn the system with major changes.

• Development

QA/UAT (same database)

Production

• 1. DV - Development for everyone to mess with; CI enabled

2. QA - Quality Assurance; Internal testing for initial testing; nightly CI

3. UA - User Acceptance; final regression testing and user testing

4. CT - Content; for web content "development" and testing

5. XT - External; for mobile development and testing

6. ST - Staging; pre-prod deployment testing and prod-like debugging

7. PD - Production; live testing of code changes 😉

And these are all just for the e-commerce website.

• We have test and production only.

• We have two systems, Production and Training. Development is done in production. Since I joined the team a little over a year ago I've wanted to get an actual dev box setup but haven't had the time. It scares me to do development on prod but I just plain don't have the time to fix it.

• David.Poole (8/14/2015)

• Local Dev
    • Continuous Integration
    • Functional test
    • Non-functional test (stress testing, penetration and vulnerability testing etc)
    • User acceptance testing
    • Showcase and demonstration
    • Production
    • Disaster Recovery

Wow, that's a lot, though I assume DR is automatically updated from production, so not really something you need to maintain for data testing. More an admin function.

• I have either two or three systems, depending upon the system itself. All small systems have just two (development/test and production). The larger systems have three (development/test, staging and production).

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• As a small company, we only have production. Now we have migrated to a bigger company, we will move to a development and production environment. Hopefully in the future, that will include dev, test and prod environments.

Mostly our data is for reporting purposes only.

• Technically we have one development environment and that's it: my workstation. We have a leased cloud server, but we're not quite at the production level yet. I doubt it will change much, we just had a change in management and we'll see if I can get a testing server, perhaps as a VM.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• 1. Development (several) (sometimes 8!!!)

2. Systest (several) (sometimes 8!!!)

3. UAT (sometimes 8!!!)

4. Production 1 🙂

Now that I typed this I can confirm that the feeling I had in my gut that we have too many environments is totally justified :w00t:

• Beautiful 🙂

• For most of my clients a minimum of Dev and Prod

With most often

Dev

Test

UAT

Prod

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/14/2015)

David.Poole (8/14/2015)

• Local Dev
    • Continuous Integration
    • Functional test
    • Non-functional test (stress testing, penetration and vulnerability testing etc)
    • User acceptance testing
    • Showcase and demonstration
    • Production
    • Disaster Recovery

Wow, that's a lot, though I assume DR is automatically updated from production, so not really something you need to maintain for data testing. More an admin function.

We have similar to the above.

Local Dev on each desktop.

Common Dev environment on Dev server.

QA environment that's currently on the same box as Dev but separate databases.

Staging/UAT on Staging server

Production Server

Showcase/Demonstration environment on the Stage/UAT server (separate databases).

Disaster Recovery (all environments but offsite only for production)

Download/Upload (Separate from applications)

New ETL servers (Dev, Stage, Prod)

Utility environment for 3rd party solutions such as the Mantis ticket system and Alloy asset tracking systems, etc.

Stress Testing (normally played against staging/UAT and then production itself)

Penetration/Security Testing (ALL environments)

... and I'm in the middle of migrating all the old 2005 databases to new servers so roughly double the above.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I have two:

Live

and my laptop.

This can often make my life "interesting" as the Live servers are running SQL 7 , 2000, 2005, 2008 R2 and 2012.

Don't talk to me about end of life support :angry:

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply