how index increse the searching speed?

• Hi,

How Index increse the searching speed?

• Non-Clustered Indexes

==============

If you have a book of 1000 pages without table contents and index(appendix or glossary) and you want to read a specific Topic then you will have to read the whole book then you get the required topic but I provide book indexes in the begenining and ending of that book then you will read only this information indexes of few pages then get the topic ,these table contents and indexes(appendix or glossary of a book) are non-clustered indexes

Clustered Indexes

===========

Are those who maintain the actual data copy which column(s) you made the clustered indexes then get the data related of this column ,it depends on the where clause and query optimizer who select the indexes at the run time

now you should decide which one is fast

1-Read 1000 pages and get the topic

2-Read 20 to 40 pages and get the topic

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• This series may be worth reading: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Indexing/68439/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Syed Jahanzaib Bin hassan (5/29/2011)

Non-Clustered Indexes

==============

If you have a book of 1000 pages without table contents and index(appendix or glossary) and you want to read a specific Topic then you will have to read the whole book then you get the required topic but I provide book indexes in the begenining and ending of that book then you will read only this information indexes of few pages then get the topic ,these table contents and indexes(appendix or glossary of a book) are non-clustered indexes

@Syed

Good explanation

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

• Create appropriate indexes.

I note that my answer isn't any more useful than your completely open-ended question.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Syed Jahanzaib Bin hassan is on point. Simple but effective analogy.:-)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply