how can vs see SSIS under my regular user id but not my admin?

• Hi, we run vs 2022.   I'm stumped how when i run VS as admin i cant see ssis after hitting create new project unless i want to import ssis or tabular.   but under my regular id i can see new ssis, import ssis, import tabular and new ssrs after hitting crate new project.   its been a while but i could swear we installed vs using my admin.    but admittedly, i dont think when one goes to run the download, the admin is in charge anymore.

• Maybe try installing the Integration Services extension again, while running VS as Admin.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
    - Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

• i may try that Phil.  thx.   just circled back to this.

• so i uninstalled anything looking like it was vs related and installed vs 2022 because we had to anyway.   I'm poking around inside vs 2022 to add ssdt items but dont see such a choice even under extensions->manage extensions.

i'm looking around the web now to see if i need to start externally to vs.    i'll start by picking the marketplace link.

im installing ssis first.   The language choice was stuck so i tried installing again.  i seem to be progressing.   i'm concerned that my vs install wa only allowed under my regular userid.  but this ssdt item requested my admin creds.   i'll see if i get a hybrid situation again where vs under my two creds has different ssdt items available.

as suspected, i only see ssis when opening vs as admin.   which is weird because im only licensed under my regular id to use vs 2022.  im moving on to ssas.

for this tool you see "get started" instead of "download".  i clicked it anyway.  it said i was being redirected.   and it appears im installing something called vsix under my admin creds.

as expected i see ssas when running vs as admin but not my regular cred.   BUT in a surprising twist , i see ssis under vs when running vs as my regular id also.   this is bizarre.   moving on to ssrs.

ssrs is also "get started", redirected and installs vsix...  i see the ssrs tool when running vs as admin.  not my regular id.  so ssis is the only tool i see under my regular id in vs.

interestingly, we like vs to run on a dev server also.   but we rdp into tha server as admin.   but we are only licensed to install vs under our regular id.   im expecting some drama there.  not sure yet if i can switch ids there just to install vs.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  stan.
  • i opened a separate post at https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/re-install-of-vs2022-and-core-tools-leaves-me-short-of-ssis-output-and-input-com to focus on the missing components.

going to close that one.   apparently they only show when in a dft.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply