how can I solve that

• I have a code when running it give this error messege (in sql server 2000)

Server: Msg 156, Level 15, State 1, Line 20

Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'EXEC'.

this is a part of the code

set nocount on

create table #DISTINCTC(

[name] nvarchar(120)

)

insert into #DISTINCTC SELECT Column_Name FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS WHERE Table_Name = 'AGEN'

------------------------

select * from #DISTINCTC

declare Dist cursor for

select [name]from #DISTINCTC

open Dist

DECLARE @z int

declare @x nvarchar(120)

declare @y nvarchar(120)

fetch next from Dist into @x

while @@fetch_status=0

begin

set @y = @x;

set @z=EXEC('select count(distinct '+@y+') from AGEN')

if (@z <= 10)

begin

set nocount on

create table #DISTINCTC1(

DistinctVal nvarchar(4000)

)

insert into #DISTINCTC1 EXEC('select distinct '+@y+' from AGEN')

------------------------

declare Insertion cursor for

select * from #DISTINCTC1

open #DISTINCTC1

Declare @I nvarchar(4000)

FETCH NEXT FROM Insertion INTO @I

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

begin

EXEC('insert into SATIS values("AGEN",'+@y+','+@I+')')

FETCH NEXT FROM Insertion INTO @I

end

end

fetch next from Dist into @x

end

close Insertion

Deallocate Insertion

close Dist

Deallocate Dist

drop table #DISTINCTC

what shall I do

• You can't build the string to be executed inside the Exec command. Build it as a variable first, then execute it.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (1/27/2009)

You can't build the string to be executed inside the Exec command. Build it as a variable first, then execute it.

the problem not in the string it work well while I execute it alone

• problem might be that your @z is declared as an int yet you're trying to set it as a string. if @z is supposed to be a character string then changing the set to following might help.

set @z='EXEC(''select count(distinct '+@y+') from AGEN'')'

• That's fine. You just can't do it that way in the Exec command, like you have in your proc.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• iainthepitman (1/27/2009)

problem might be that your @z is declared as an int yet you're trying to set it as a string. if @z is supposed to be a character string then changing the set to following might help.

No. He's doing that part correctly. Setting an integer variable equal to Exec assigns the error code from the Exec command to the variable. That's a pretty normal thing to do.

Property of The Thread

• GSquared (1/27/2009)

iainthepitman (1/27/2009)

problem might be that your @z is declared as an int yet you're trying to set it as a string. if @z is supposed to be a character string then changing the set to following might help.

No. He's doing that part correctly. Setting an integer variable equal to Exec assigns the error code from the Exec command to the variable. That's a pretty normal thing to do.

thanx for the help but I need to load @z with out put of

EXEC('select count(distinct '+@y+') from AGEN')

and that not work when applying the modification which is

give me this erro

Syntax error converting the nvarchar value 'EXEC('select count(distinct INST_NO) from AGEN')' to a column of data type int.

• To do that, you're going to need to do something like this:

create table #Rows (

TableName varchar(100),

ColumnName varchar(100),

Rows int)

declare @SQL varchar(1000), @Table varchar(100), @Column varchar(100)

select @Table = 'dbo.MyTableName', @Column = 'MyColumnName'

select @SQL = 'select ''' + @Table + ''',''' + @Column + ''', count(distinct ' + @Column + ') from ' + @Table

insert into #Rows (TableName, ColumnName, Rows)

exec (@SQL)

Set up a cursor or whatever to step through the tables you want to select from and the columns you want from them. Or hard-code the table if you're just checking one of them.

The temp table will then have the rows data in it and you can run other processes on that.

Property of The Thread

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply