How can I easily manage permissions for new objects with SQL Server 2005 Management Studio

• Unless I am missing something, I cannot find an easy way to set permissions for new objects in SQL Server Management Studio. In Enterprise Manager I could select a role and view its permissions, object by object, quickly scrolling through. Similarly, I could select an object and view the permissions granted to roles, role by role. Is there a way to do this in Management Studio or another tool? See the attachment for what I mean.

I am working on a relatively large applications that runs on 4 different servers around the world (not connected). When I need to add say 10 new views, I have to methodically select each one, select properties, select permissions, select add, etc. It is very time-consuming and error prone.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

• You can use grant on object name to role member

• This is one of my gripes about SSMS. Object were are lot easier to see in Enterprise Manager. About the only way to make granting permissions quicker is to do it in T-SQL, like vyas suggested.

Greg

• Thanks much for the suggestion. I tried it and it works perfectly. It will save me a great deal of time. Still not nearly as good as Enterprise Manager, but it will help.

Tom

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply