Home Sweet Home

• I was born and raised in Boulder, Colorado, but now live in Texas (6 months so far and 3 1/2 years to go). In between I've lived in Seattle (2yrs.) Boston (6 months), Taiwan (1 1/2 years) and Kansas City (12 years). We have hopes of returning to Colorado and if we do, I will probably end up living close to within 100 miles of Boulder, either in the Springs or back on the farm I grew up on. Hearing about the snows of December made me homesick. So until then, I am about 875 miles from my native land.

• Crossing the home land international border cannot describe in 100 Miles.

I am working away from my brith place Pakistan now in UAE. Good experience but no need for showling with sand.

Tahir

Kindest Regards,

Tahir

• Born in a corner of Africa which no longer exists, I grew up in Zimbabwe and the USA, went to university in Cape Town (South Africa), and I've worked in South Africa, Korea, Hong Kong, USA (Texas), Zimbabwe and teh UK.  Oh, and remotely done work in Australia.

Now I'm back in Cape Town.

But after spending time in some 28 countries, it's hard to get to grips with this concept of "home"...

-----------------

C8H10N4O2

• The concept of "roots", a deep attachment to the patch of Earth on which you were raised, is a concept I've always found romantic – probably why I'm such a fan of Annie Proulx. However, it's something I never really experienced.

I was born in Basildon, one of the "new towns" that sprang up around London after WWII. It was a pretty desperate place in many ways – good at shopping malls and car parks and not much else

Ever since I left for University, around 20 years ago, I've always lived more than 100 miles from where I grew up. I've traipsed around England a fair bit…for a while drifting ever further away (Birmingham, Nottingham, Warrington, Hull), but recently moving back down the country – Birmingham again, Leamington Spa, and currently Bedford, which is about as close as I've ever lived to "home", at around 120 miles.

I'd like to say it's some sort of homeward journey, but it's not. I guess I'll always have some emotional attachment to the area of my birth, mainly through familial connections, but have no desire to go back.

I've liked all of the places I've lived, without ever feeling any real pain of separation from any of them. I'm still looking for that place that will "get into my blood" as Steve puts it. Or maybe it has and I just don't realize it. I'd happily move to Southern Spain for a couple of years to give that theory a try .

• Interesting stories

I was born in Burmingham in England, but moved to South Africa with my parents when I was very young. Other than four years at university in Grahamstown (1000km away) I've lived in Johannesburg ever since.

No plans to leave at this point.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • mmm...

I was born in Harare, Zimbabwe and am now based in London.

As soon as I get bored of the bustle and hustle of London, I hope I will go back

Everything you can imagine is real.

• I was a Jersey Boy born and raised until I went to school in NC about 10 hours South.  After that I realized how much I appreciated the lifestyle and wouldn't look back.  I now live in Virginia and enjoy the pace of life -- although if you could send some snow to Richmond I would be a lot happier.  Just 2 or 3 storms a year.  Although I know, be careful what you wish for.

• Sean,

If I could get snow to Richmond from CO, I'd be happy to oblige.

My wife usually looks forward to snow. After almost a new blizzard every week since Christmas, even she's done!

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply