Ho can i truncate transaction Log?

• How can i truncate transaction log with no recovery,i run out of space on my test server.so i want to truncate transaction log.

Please help me

how can i do with T-Sql.

Thanks

• Assuming that this is a test server and you don't need to recover the data, the simplest thing would probably be to detach the database, then re-attach using the sp_attach_single_file_db method which can be found in Books On Line.  This will reattach the database with a default log file size of 1 megabyte.

I'd also suggest you read up on backup and recovery methods and implement one to make sure your log file doesn't grow out of control again in the future.  Hope this helps.

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• Oops.  Hit the post button too quick.  The T-SQL for the method described above is as follows:

1.  EXEC sp_detach_db @dbname = 'mydatabase'
    2.  Delete the offending *.ldf file
    3.  EXEC sp_attach_single_file_db @dbname = 'mydatabase',    @physname = 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\mydatabase.mdf'
    Best of luck.

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• Hi

you can also use

Set your recovery model to simple.

run the following

Backup log <dbname>  with no_log

set your recovery model to full

backup your database immediately.

Thanks

Amish

• You can also truncate the log without performing a backup by setting the recovery model for the database to simple and use dbcc shinkdatabase (can also use shinkfile)

stick something like this in a scheduled job

use master

alter database testdatabasename

set recovery simple

go

dbcc shrinkdatabase(testdatabasename)

go

alter database testdatabasename

set recovery full

go

although the detach, reattach method is quicker, with the above their is no downtime

• Another option is to run:

DUMP transaction your db name WITH NO_log

• The command that I use is:

BACKUP LOG <dbname> WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY

Keep in mind that this will simply remove the entries from the transaction log, it will not shrink the transaction log file.

• Although none of the posts are technically incorrect, they are also incomplete in my estimation.  You should understand the consequences of using these methods. 

If you set the database to Simple recovery you will loose the ability to restore to a point in time, even if you switch back to full recovery, until you do a full backup.  The same applies to issuing a backup log...with truncate_only command. 

Not that you shouldn't do as advised, it is likely at this point that you have little choice, but if recovery to a point in time is important, as soon as you truncate the log and shrink the file, you need to do a full backup, and then resume regular log backups.

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/

• Have you ever tried to use DBCC shrinkfile (<logfileID>, <fileSize in MB&gt? It makes things a lot easier, if you already have a scheduled backup plan.

The truncation of the transaction log occurs in various circumstances as explained in 'Truncating the Transaction Log' of BOL. Therefore, you do not have to manually truncate it to very small size, if the active portion of the log is not too big. In this way, you do not have to conduct additional full backup.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply