High-Performance Transact-SQL with Window Functions

• But read my reply (page 1 of replies to this "article") with simple T-SQL to find islands and gaps. I expect it's faster than windowing functions.

• katesl

But read my reply (page 1 of replies to this "article") with simple T-SQL to find islands and gaps. I expect it's faster than windowing functions.

I like what you have there (it's clever) and thank you for posting it. However my current focus is to incorporate windowing capabilities into my thinking as I approach issues that I previously resolved with earlier constructs.

• OldFashionGang (12/2/2013)

You have chosen a strange title for the article. It`s starts with "High-Performance..." but there is no performance comparison between Windowed Functions and other approaches. The article itself is interesting and might be very cognitive, but its title is a bit confusing.

If you read posts later in the thread, you'll understand why the title is so confusing...

The book contains whole chapters and several minor tips, here and there, about how to optimize the use of windowing functions.

As said before - buy the book. I can guarantee that you'll learn something new!

• Kamil

super - przynajmniej znowu jestesmy znani na calym swiecie - nie tylko z milosci do cudzych samochodów

Kindest Regards,

Damian Widera
    SQL Server MVP,
    MCT, MCSE Data Platform, MCSD.NET

• dwain.c (12/3/2013)

GordonLiddy (12/3/2013)

This article is a complete ripoff from Itzik Ben-Gan's book Microsoft SQL Server 2012 High-Performance T-SQL Using Window Functions! Nowhere is there any credits to the original author ... Shame, shame, shame!

Large parts of the text and some of the code examples are an exact copy/paste from the book. See for yourself: http://it-ebooks.info/book/1140/

What's SQLServerCentrals opinion on plagiarism?

PS. Buy the book written by Itzik Ben-Gan, I did it and it's definitely worth it!

I have alerted the SSC editor. Have not read the book unfortunately.

I suspect that you would like it Dwain. Now you can win one[/url]. 😛

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Alan.B (12/5/2013)

dwain.c (12/3/2013)

GordonLiddy (12/3/2013)

This article is a complete ripoff from Itzik Ben-Gan's book Microsoft SQL Server 2012 High-Performance T-SQL Using Window Functions! Nowhere is there any credits to the original author ... Shame, shame, shame!

Large parts of the text and some of the code examples are an exact copy/paste from the book. See for yourself: http://it-ebooks.info/book/1140/

What's SQLServerCentrals opinion on plagiarism?

PS. Buy the book written by Itzik Ben-Gan, I did it and it's definitely worth it!

I have alerted the SSC editor. Have not read the book unfortunately.

I suspect that you would like it Dwain. Now you can win one[/url]. 😛

I wonder if Amazon ships to Thailand...

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply