Help Me Decide

• I have just started to look at this Reporting Service. Even before I complete my installation I am firing this Question so please bear with me. I would like to know if this Reporting Service would be the best way to go or if I should choose ASP.NET. Coding purely in ASP.NET will enable me to switch to other databases if needed.

All these reports are internal use but are going to be heavily used and probably in a matter of 2 years we may have about 10 developers working fulltime to support about 3000+ users requests. So converting all this to a future release will be a real pain.

What would you suggest as to which direction to go. I am also looking at how long this Reporting Service is planning to stay. Is this going to be the future trend in reporting for people using SQL Server. Or should I be asking this question to someone from MS.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards,

Trevor Benedict R
    Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• There is no reason why you cannot use reporting services by coding in asp.net right now. Also, from what I have read .net will be a major factor in sql server yukon, so it looks the way ahead for us all.

You can complement reporting services with Office XP Web Components analysis tools. They are particularly good for olap technology. See link:

http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/preview.aspx?AssetID=HA010345971033&CTT=6&Origin=EC010553071033

Hope this gets you started in the right direction and gets this thread moving for you.

------------------------------
    The Users are always right - when I'm not wrong!

• Thanks. I have also contacted Microsoft for more information on this as well as for Training. Although I like the way it is turning out, I felt that there was a Learning Curve atleast Initially as we have less than 2 months to get something up. This is why we had to decide fast.

Looks like this will be the road we will take. I will come back here with more questions later.

Regards,

Trevor Benedict R

Best Regards,

Trevor Benedict R
    Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply