Help me

• I have a problem in understanding Checkpoints and Transcations. Went ahead and created a simple package where all this checkpoints are enabled and taken care off. I am clear that the check point file helps in picking up the package from the point of failure.

In order to understand Transcations, created a container which has some child tasks within. Made sure that the transcation property is enabled to required. Now i have some more task underbeneath it. When i fail the beneath container tasks, and execute the package again. It starts from the container. My question is, It should start from the task that it failed previously right??....plz do help me understand whats the problem ...Thank you

Do ping ..if any thing is not clear...Thank you Once Again

• Better if you read Checkpoints and Transactions..

• The transaction exists in the controlling container, usually a sequence container. That transaction surrounds every object internal to it unless you create another transaction internally to it.

When a transaction fails, it fully rolls back to the first object contained in it. Your checkpoint doesn't matter here, the transaction does, and it's rolled back.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Thank you for your reply.....

I think i was not clear to u.... Have one container1 ( task1(required), task2(required), task3(required) )on designer ( Supported). This works fine and I can understand whats its doing, if anything inside this container fails, it rollsback and executes from the begining.

My question, if I add another task AB to designer which should executes after the container1. And when AB(task) is made to fail, my package now executes from the begining container1 { i except it to begin from the task(AB) }.

I am confused with the checkpoints and transcations, can I enable both transcations and checkpoints on a package.

If Yes is the answer then, why is it, my package starts picking (executing from the container again). And one more thing I observed, when i want my transcationoption on packagescope to required, it doesn't allow. Inreturn, it asks me to disable the check point. I am very sorry...if the things I mentioned are very basic to get. But that itself is not clear and I couldn't get much out of the books and Onlinebooks ....plz consider to help me here. Hoping that you through some more knowledge,Thank you

• quillis131 (6/15/2011)

I think i was not clear to u.... Have one container1 ( task1(required), task2(required), task3(required) )on designer ( Supported). This works fine and I can understand whats its doing, if anything inside this container fails, it rollsback and executes from the begining.

My question, if I add another task AB to designer which should executes after the container1. And when AB(task) is made to fail, my package now executes from the begining container1 { i except it to begin from the task(AB) }.

Ooooh, yeah, I misunderstood. Task AB has a checkpoint assigned to it specifically, right?

If Yes is the answer then, why is it, my package starts picking (executing from the container again). And one more thing I observed, when i want my transcationoption on packagescope to required, it doesn't allow. Inreturn, it asks me to disable the check point.

Yes, that's correct, because you can't checkpoint within a transaction, and setting it at the package level makes the entire package an end to end transaction, so it can't restart in the middle.

I am very sorry...if the things I mentioned are very basic to get. But that itself is not clear and I couldn't get much out of the books and Onlinebooks ....plz consider to help me here. Hoping that you through some more knowledge,Thank you

No worries. I ran into the same problems you did with the existing documentation and ended up doing exactly what you have, creating a bunch of test packages and learning it by just playing with it in a thousand combinations.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

• Yes ..task AB was taken care of to use checkpoint file ...I mean check point properties for the task (AB)level are assigned to it, so that this has to start in case of failure......

Thank you..i am glad that you are responding and help me understanding, really appreciate it and once again I want to thank you

• quillis131 (6/15/2011)

Yes ..task AB was taken care of to use checkpoint file ...I mean check point properties for the task (AB)level are assigned to it, so that this has to start in case of failure......

Then I'm not sure. What task type is AB? I'm going to have to do some experimentation.

- Craig Farrell

• Its a simple script task ....which has nothing in it.

• Look at the package level properties window, the Checkpoints menu. There are three options. CheckpointFileName, CheckpointUsage, and SaveCheckpoints. These are all integral in setting up Checkpoints properly.

You need to have a file and need to either have "Always" or "If Exists" chosen, and save your Checkpoints. If you don't do all that, then the package will start over from the beginning, regardless of at what task / container it failed.

Does this help?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Thanku for ur reply ....Yes, I am following all the things that are neccessary for Check points to work at the package level and at the task level in the package.

Even following everything, I still find my package starting form the container, which is above the task(AB)....

If you can go through this, u get to know, what exactly I am doing.

Have one container1 ( task1(required), task2(required), task3(required) )on SSISdesigner ( Supported). This works fine and I can understand what its doing, if anything inside this container fails, it rollsback and executes from the begining.

My question, if I add another task AB to designer which should executes after the container1. And when AB(task) is made to fail, my package now executes from the begining container1 { i except it to begin from the task(AB) }. And the script task is Simple one, which has no code in it.

If you can help with this that would be great ...

• Okay, I'm a little confused. Could you speak less in L33T / text shorthand and more in real English words, please?

How many containers do you have in your package? If you only have 1, how many tasks external to that container do you have?

How many checkpoints have you set up in your package?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• one container and one task ( script ) outside the container. Check points are enabled on container and Script task. Am I clear???...let me know

• quillis131 (6/16/2011)

one container and one task ( script ) outside the container. Check points are enabled on container and Script task. Am I clear???...let me know

Yes, that's clear. Thank you. Check this:

Books Online

Set the FailPackageOnFailure property to True for each selected task and container

• Thats what exactly I am doing ....but its not working.

One more time for you, I followed your suggestion and this is, what it happens:

1.Initially Failing task, which is outside the container by ForceExecutionResult property to Fail

2. Executing the package( It fails at task outside the container)

3. Then executing the package again, Now i expect the package to start execution from the task, which is outside the container.

But the execution of package starts from the container again....I hope I explained you? in case plz do ping me ...Thank you

• Can you post some pictures?

I'm looking for the following images:

Control Flow

Package level properties (all)

Container level properties (all)

Outside task level properties (all)

We're having a communications disconnect and I think it would help me if I could visualize your package.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply