Help for Database Mirroring

• While I am trying to start the mirror, I'm getting an error . I can able to telnet Server A from Server B and Vice versa on port 5022. For security reason my mirror server is using the port 1434 instead of default port 1433. Is anything to do with that? Thanks in advance.

---------------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Satheesh.

• Here is the error --> The server network address "TCP://Mirror,1434:5022" can not be reached or does not exist. Check the network address name and that the ports for the local and remote endpoints are operational.

Thanks,
    Satheesh.

• How did you create the mirror? TSQL or wizard? Are you able to check with defaults ports? Has the port your using been allocated for that traffic?

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• How did you create the mirror? TSQL or wizard? Are you able to check with defaults ports? Has the port your using been allocated for that traffic?

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• I would.t use port 1434. isn't that reserved for the Browser service? Have you tried a different port?

thanks

SQL_EXPAT

• In database mirroring when you are entering the server port information it is not for SQL Server it is for the end-point. So try "TCP://Mirror:5022" instead...

Thanks.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

• Erode P. Satheesh (3/9/2009)

While I am trying to start the mirror, I'm getting an error . I can able to telnet Server A from Server B and Vice versa on port 5022. For security reason my mirror server is using the port 1434 instead of default port 1433. Is anything to do with that? Thanks in advance.

5022 and 5023 are the default ports for DB Mirroring, but for security reasons its would be better to specify different port numbers. You cannot/should not use 1433.

• I tried using TSQL and Wizard both are giving the same error. My mirroring endpoints are referring to 5022 port only. Only my sql server on Mirror server is using port 1434.

Thanks,
    Satheesh.

• Can you please paste the T-SQL code your executing?

This is what I execute:

ALTER DATABASE DBName

SET Parther='TCP://Server:Port'

Server Being the Principle Server/Mirror Server.

Port being the Endpoint Port.

Thanks.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].

* I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

• did you try adding exception in firewall for the port. Maybe your firewall is blocking the access from other computer

• i created my Mirrored DB in my server in the following steps:

1- i created endpoint in each of server through the following code:

on principle server:

CREATE ENDPOINT [endpointmirroring]

STATE=STARTED

AS TCP (LISTENER_PORT =1430(ANY port), LISTENER_IP = ALL(Or add your server IP for security)

FOR DATA_MIRRORING (ROLE = PARTNER, AUTHENTICATION = WINDOWS NEGOTIATE

, ENCRYPTION = REQUIRED ALGORITHM RC4)

in mirror server:

STATE=STARTED

AS TCP (LISTENER_PORT = 1440, LISTENER_IP = ALL)

FOR DATA_MIRRORING (ROLE = PARTNER, AUTHENTICATION = WINDOWS NEGOTIATE

and if you have WITNESS use the following

STATE=STARTED

AS TCP (LISTENER_PORT = 1450, LISTENER_IP = ALL)

FOR DATA_MIRRORING (ROLE = WITNESS, AUTHENTICATION = WINDOWS NEGOTIATE

2- then give permission to user account which will be used in mirroring. you can do it though :

GRANT CONNECT ON ENDPOINT::endpointmirroring TO [domain\user]

3- assign mirror server for principle DB :

ALTER DATABASE AdventureWorks

SET PARTNER = ‘TCP://mirrorserver:1440’

SET WITNESS = ‘TCP://witnessserver:1450’

4- assign principle server for mirror DB (you should backup and restore DB from principle to mirror server before that step)

SET PARTNER = ‘TCP://principleserver:1430’

5- use security wizard to begin mirroring

With me every thing was ok > without any problem/ GOOD LUck GOOO on !

• Sorry guys for replying late. I am on leave.

I am using the below T-SQL Statment,

ALTER DATABASE Mirroring_DB1

SET Partner='TCP://MirrorServer:5022'

Now I am chasing my IT team to add the port 5022 in firewall exceptional list. Is there any way to prove that the port is blocked by firewall?

Thanks,
    Satheesh.

• You can check to see if the port is open with netstat command in dos command line.

• Erode P. Satheesh (3/18/2009)

Sorry guys for replying late. I am on leave.

I am using the below T-SQL Statment,

ALTER DATABASE Mirroring_DB1

SET Partner='TCP://INBGMSNDB01:5022'

Now I am chasing my IT team to add the port 5022 in firewall exceptional list. Is there any way to prove that the port is blocked by firewall?

Try to telnet into the server/port 5022...

Thanks.

[font="Arial"]---

• I had added the ports to exceptional list and by using the script posted by eng_mgomaa, I can able to setup the principal and mirror. The failover is also happening successfully. But while I am trying to set the witness, I am getting the error,

The ALTER DATABASE command could not be sent to the remote server instance 'TCP://WitnessServer:5023'. The database mirroring configuration was not changed. Verify that the server is connected, and try again.

I am using the following T-SQL,

ALTER DATABASE Mirroring_db1

SET Witness = 'TCP://WitnessServer:5023'

I had tried with both WitnessServer hostname and fully qualified name.

Thanks,
    Satheesh.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply