Heaps

• Duncan Pryde (3/2/2011)

Koen Verbeeck (3/2/2011)

And there's me who feels uneasy if I've answered "A" four times in a row!

Thts very true indeed!!!

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• SKYBVI (3/1/2011)

Koen Verbeeck (3/1/2011)

SKYBVI (3/1/2011)

The question should clearly tell that there are MULTIPLE ANSWERS..

Regards,

Sushant

Where do you think they use checkboxes for?

If it was only one correct answer, it would have been radio buttons.

many sites checkboxes are also used for only 1 correct answer.

Regards,

Sushant

GUI designers who misuse controls and add to people's confusion when GUI controls are used properly (as they are here) is a peeve of mine. Allow me to quote from the following source: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20040927.html

Ever since the first edition of Inside Macintosh in 1984, the rule has been the same for when to use checkboxes versus radio buttons. All subsequent GUI standards and the official W3C Web standards have included the same definition of these two controls:

1) Radio buttons are used when there is a list of two or more options that are mutually exclusive and the user must select exactly one choice. In other words, clicking a non-selected radio button will deselect whatever other button was previously selected in the list.

2) Checkboxes are used when there are lists of options and the user may select any number of choices. In other words, each checkbox is independent of all other checkboxes in the list, so checking one box doesn't uncheck the others.

• The questions has been corrected (again, sorry) to note that 2 answers are required. The standard MS tests tell you how many answers you need to select, and I have reflected that here, and will do that moving forward.

I also changed the size of the rows to fill the page.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/3/2011)

The questions has been corrected (again, sorry) to note that 2 answers are required. The standard MS tests tell you how many answers you need to select, and I have reflected that here, and will do that moving forward.

Thanks! Any chance that the site could automatically include the number of answers that are required so that the question writers don't need to remember to do that?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/3/2011)

Sorry to point out an error again, but now you say in the first sentence that a row is 2000 bytes. So 4 rows in one page. OK, so far so good.

Then you say you update a row on a full page to 1500 bytes. That is less than 2000 bytes, so I guess nothing will happen.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (3/3/2011)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/3/2011)

Sorry to point out an error again, but now you say in the first sentence that a row is 2000 bytes. So 4 rows in one page. OK, so far so good.

Then you say you update a row on a full page to 1500 bytes. That is less than 2000 bytes, so I guess nothing will happen.

Give him a break... he's on holiday!!! 😎

• UMG Developer (3/3/2011)

The questions has been corrected (again, sorry) to note that 2 answers are required. The standard MS tests tell you how many answers you need to select, and I have reflected that here, and will do that moving forward.

Thanks! Any chance that the site could automatically include the number of answers that are required so that the question writers don't need to remember to do that?

But that takes away the fun, surely! Part of the challenge with multi-select questions (for me anyway) is having to think about every single possible response and mark it as correct or incorrect. Sure, it helps sometimes knowing that you need to tick at least 2 answers, but beyond that it could be that 2 are correct or 3 or sometimes even all of them. If the questioner wants to say how many are correct that's up to her or him, otherwise it's up to us to work it our for ourselves.

Just my £0.02 worth.

• Duncan Pryde (3/3/2011)

UMG Developer (3/3/2011)

But that takes away the fun, surely! Part of the challenge with multi-select questions (for me anyway) is having to think about every single possible response and mark it as correct or incorrect. Sure, it helps sometimes knowing that you need to tick at least 2 answers, but beyond that it could be that 2 are correct or 3 or sometimes even all of them. If the questioner wants to say how many are correct that's up to her or him, otherwise it's up to us to work it our for ourselves.

Just my £0.02 worth.

I second.

I'd also love the option to be able to have a multi-select with just 1 valid answer (or even 0 for a very sick (pick all that apply) question :hehe:).

• Doh! Fixed

• Ninja's_RGR'us (3/3/2011)

Duncan Pryde (3/3/2011)

UMG Developer (3/3/2011)

Just my £0.02 worth.

I second.

I'd also love the option to be able to have a multi-select with just 1 valid answer (or even 0 for a very sick (pick all that apply) question :hehe:).

I did briefly consider getting around it by having one answer that was simply "Mark this answer or you'll get the question wrong" in order to leave the possibility of only one other answer being correct, but had horrible visions of the resulting flame war with people who thought it was some kind of weird trick!

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply