Heaps

• The question should clearly tell that there are MULTIPLE ANSWERS..

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• SKYBVI (3/1/2011)

The question should clearly tell that there are MULTIPLE ANSWERS..

Regards,

Sushant

Where do you think they use checkboxes for?

If it was only one correct answer, it would have been radio buttons.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (3/1/2011)

SKYBVI (3/1/2011)

Regards,

Sushant

many sites checkboxes are also used for only 1 correct answer.

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• SKYBVI (3/1/2011)

Koen Verbeeck (3/1/2011)

SKYBVI (3/1/2011)

Regards,

Sushant

many sites checkboxes are also used for only 1 correct answer.

Regards,

Sushant

In my opinion, those are poorly designed sites.

Checkboxes are by nature multivalued, while radiobuttons allow by definition only 1 value (well, it is possible to select nothing).

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• I could have sworn I selected the correct answer, but it told me I was wrong. Is there any way to check?

• dave.farmer (3/1/2011)

DugyC (3/1/2011)

Ack! Got it wrong, slightly, but enough to lose the points! :ermm:

The explanation I found in this article http://sqlserverpedia.com/wiki/Heaps under heading Forwarded Records said... Any non-clustered indexes on the heap have to be updated with the new location for this data, resulting in overhead. ...which according to the explanation here is wrong.

I found that too, along with:

Page splits can arise in another way. When an existing record that has a variable length column is updated with a larger value than the existing one, SQL Server has to move half of the records to a new page to accommodate the increased column length

... so that's all wrong? you don't get a page split and indexes are not updated?

I think sqlserverpedia, though correct if you read it carefully and completely, is poorly worded here. The first quote should probably read

Without forwarding pointers, any non-clustered indexes on the heap would have to be updated with the new location for this data, resulting in overhead.

and the second quote is in a paragraph talking about page splits in tables with clustered indexes, leading up to (but a little far away from):

As explained earlier, fillfactor can’t be specified for heaps, and page splits do not happen in heaps; they occur only for clustered and non-clustered indexes. However, if you update a variable length column to a value greater than the current one and there is no free space left to accommodate the changes, heaps introduce forwarded records.

I've submitted an update for the first quote to SQLServerPedia, not sure how to clarify the second one.

• Gill Rowley (3/1/2011)

I could have sworn I selected the correct answer, but it told me I was wrong. Is there any way to check?

Same with me, but i selected 1 corrrect answer out of 2...

There were 2 correct answers...

Regrds,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• Thanks for the question,

Does the correct answer change if we replace UPDATE with INSERT in the question?

Regards,

Iulian

• I'm still confused about how the page is full. Since data pages are 8K and we are only using 4K, how is that full?

Also, in my opinion, the question should have stated (check all that apply). If it did I missed that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When you realize you've dug yourself into a hole....Step 1...stop digging.

• ChazMan (3/1/2011)

I'm still confused about how the page is full. Since data pages are 8K and we are only using 4K, how is that full?

Also, in my opinion, the question should have stated (check all that apply). If it did I missed that.

Ya exactly, but some genuis guys thinks that if they have mentioned checkboxes, then they dont need to specify "check all that apply"

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• SKYBVI (3/1/2011)

ChazMan (3/1/2011)

I'm still confused about how the page is full. Since data pages are 8K and we are only using 4K, how is that full?

Ya exactly, but some genuis guys thinks that if they have mentioned checkboxes, then they dont need to specify "check all that apply"

Regards,

Sushant

Hey dude you got 5 points backs from all your posts. Also NOW you know how this site works. care to let it go??

• I'm cool with it. Oh wait. You were talking to SKYBVI.... 😀

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When you realize you've dug yourself into a hole....Step 1...stop digging.

• Excellent question.

• SKYBVI (3/1/2011)

Regards,

Sushant

Agreed. I would have chosen more than one but since it didn't say that I chose only the one that I knew best to be correct. Oh well.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• David Benoit (3/1/2011)

SKYBVI (3/1/2011)

Regards,

Sushant

Agreed. I would have chosen more than one but since it didn't say that I chose only the one that I knew best to be correct. Oh well.

What about the questions where it could be multiple choices and there's actually just 1 valid answer? Those are the harder questions we have here. Bottom line is that you should know the answer, and that by itself will tell you wether you need to answer 1 or more options.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply