Grrrrr Why can't I get SSMS 2008 to work like 2005 did? :(

• SSMS 2005 has a simple but logical interface whereby one can view both Registered Servers and Object Explorer windows at the same time, albeit with size limitations. Having become accustomed to this view, I am unable to discover how to achieve the same view in SSMS 2008.

Yes, we can have the separate-tabbed view, and that's nice and all, but why can't we have the same view as before?

Sure, you can place a windowed RS window on top of the OE window, but that's beyond kludgey.

I don't want to get off on a rant here, but WTF kind of developer(s) takes away a perfectly good UI from an existing user base without at least the (obvious) option to retain the previous UI so we can go about our daily work without being forced to adapt to a new UI?

Isn't this Developer 101 stuff? If you want to display your razor-honed skills you acquire under the direct tutoring of K & R themselves, fine, add all the "improvements" and eye-candy you want, but DON"T TAKE AWAY STUFF THAT WORKS.

There. I feel better now.

• You mean like this? (see attachments) If not, describe what the layout should look like please.

What are you trying and what's management studio doing when you try?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Yes! Image 1 is what I'm after.

I managed to come up with the configuration in image 2, but it's not what I seek.

Care to share your magic?

• Get to the config shown in image 2, drag object explorer as shown in this screenshot

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Got it.

Thank you! 😀

• Want to apologise to the developers? 😉

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (8/20/2009)

Want to apologise to the developers? 😉

Can I moan about the activity monitor in 2008 then, the fact that you cannot easily resize the columns in the views or the fact that I find it clunky in a lot of ways vs sql 2005 and If they wanted to improve on it, when you click, to trace process in profiler, what would be nice, is to be able to select a user created template for the trace to be used. or the fact that I might want to select what columns appear in the activity monitor. or the fact that it doesnt remember if you moved columns around. if you closed it and then reopened it.

It is an improvement in some ways, but there is a greater scope for improvment now.

What would be fantastic, if it was a template/frame that you could basically personalise. so you could automatically see what is important to you, so say for example 'recent expensive queries' could be the first drop down, instead of the 3rd. similiar in a way to a web page where you have widgets which you could relocate, or turn on and off.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• Silverfox (8/21/2009)

Can I moan about the activity monitor in 2008 then, the fact that you cannot easily resize the columns in the views or the fact that I find it clunky in a lot of ways vs sql 2005 and If they wanted to improve on it, when you click, to trace process in profiler, what would be nice, is to be able to select a user created template for the trace to be used. or the fact that I might want to select what columns appear in the activity monitor. or the fact that it doesnt remember if you moved columns around. if you closed it and then reopened it.

You can, but if you have constructive criticism, logging it on connect[/url]'s probably more likely to bring it to a dev's attention.

Gail Shaw

• You can, but if you have constructive criticism, logging it on connect[/url]'s probably more likely to bring it to a dev's attention.

Noooo, that means I need to fill in another registration form. Your a very bad person, Stop trying to get me to network 😛

I spend too much time on this site as it is 😀

thanks for the advice though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• Silverfox (8/21/2009)

Noooo, that means I need to fill in another registration form. Your a very bad person, Stop trying to get me to network 😛

That's nothing to do with networking and it's not forums. It's MS's bug and suggestion reporting site. If you have a Windows Live login, it works there.

If you've found a bug or want to make a suggestion to the devs, that's where you need to go to do so.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (8/20/2009)

Want to apologise to the developers? 😉

Absolutely.

As soon as I find out how to tell SSMS to use a folder other than My Documents as the default each and every time I open a script file upon opening SSMS.

(I do appreciate that it remembers and uses the last folder referenced - nice touch there.)

BTW: I am a recovering developer (still have my copy of K & R's C language book)

Cheers,

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply