Growing Skills at Work

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Growing Skills at Work

• The lack of training where I work has been one of my major concerns, since taking this job. As I've said before no one has gone to any training or conference in over 30 years. There're a few people who've been here for 30+ years. None of them remember anyone going anywhere for anything training/conference in all their time here. I really wish they would, because without realizing it no one going to train on anything, ever, results in an insular culture.

I'll mention one other thing on this topic. Due to the pandemic and a consequence of needing to get other projects going, we have begun to hire lots of contractors from India or other foreign countries. The reason is simple, most of these people are better qualified and skilled, then the rest of us. They are working on newer (i.e.: current) technologies, whereas most of my coworkers haven't improved their skills from when they were hired 15+ years ago. There is a possibility that when these contractors finish their work, then transfer the projects to regular employees, then my fellow employees may learn the current technology. However, I also can see that what may happen is some of my coworkers rewriting those projects in the older technology they're familiar with.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• People have different learning styles so finding training that matches your particular style requires some effort.

One of my ex-colleagues used to run lunch and learn sessions.  He had a knack for picking methods of illustrating the subjects in a way that was fun and a bit left-field.  This made them memorable and therefore effective.

I got a jump start with Linux because a colleague chose to run a Saturday boot camp.  The value of both the lunch and learn and the bootcamp was that we could ask questions and help each other.  It was a group activity and made sure that no-one was left behind.

Meetup groups, SQL Saturday, SQLBits etc are all ways to get re-energised and learn from peers.  I have had to be self-taught and that is not uncommon for people of my era.  It is noticeable that a number of the sages in the SQL Server community are largely self-taught as techies but also as presenters.  At some point they decided to submit a proposal for what they wanted to present to a conference committee and went for it.  The popularity of SQLBits shows that people coming together with a shared passion can achieve great things.

I renew my subscription to Pluralsight every year and because it is my personal purchase I make sure I use it.  One complaint I have heard an employer make is that they paid for everyone to have access to a MOOC and only a few people could be bothered to use it.  An employer has shown willing, fought the budgetary battles and been rewarded by, quite frankly, a kick in the teeth from the people they have tried to help.

I've heard stories about employees asking for overtime payments for attending expensive training courses for which the company has paid both the course fees and the accommodation + expenses.

Throwing money at the problem is easy, and probably ineffective.  I think that if a company wants skilled, motivated individuals they have to build a learning cultural and that is hard.

• Rod at work wrote:

However, I also can see that what may happen is some of my coworkers rewriting those projects in the older technology they're familiar with.

That's just poor management. No other way to describe that.

• I see many people that site things like a lack of training at work, etc, etc.

Tell me... if you have a degree, who paid for it?  How did you get the necessary training to land your first job in IT?

It wasn't the company you were working for.

That brings me to my point... while it certainly is nice if a company pays for additional training, why do you expect them to do so?  And sorry... I don't mean that as a question.  My feeling is that you shouldn't expect them to do so.

And, worse yet... on top of you expecting the company to pay for your additional training, you want them to set it up so that you only spend time doing any training during work hours?  Again, not really a question.  I'm just shocked that people cop such a privileged  attitude.

And, worse yet, some of you will abandon the company that invested in you.  "Nice".

If you want to get ahead, stop expecting the company you work for to help you.  They didn't help you get the job you're working at now.  Instead, do what every other profession does even when they do get some help from the company they're working for... invest in yourself.  Spend some extra hours outside of work.  It won't be wasted and it's a powerful attribute that you can mention on future resumes.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Great points, Jeff, and I wouldn't expect a company to help me get ahead. That's my job. That's what mechanics, plumbers, carpenters, doctors, chefs, lawyers, etc. do if they want to get a better position. They work on things themselves.

However, the piece is more about how organizations should find ways to invest in their employees if they want their systems to run better. The company should train people for itself, not for them.

Everyone should take responsibility here. You for your career, and your employer for their staff.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

I see many people that site things like a lack of training at work, etc, etc.

Tell me... if you have a degree, who paid for it?  How did you get the necessary training to land your first job in IT?

It wasn't the company you were working for.

That brings me to my point... while it certainly is nice if a company pays for additional training, why do you expect them to do so?  And sorry... I don't mean that as a question.  My feeling is that you shouldn't expect them to do so.

And, worse yet... on top of you expecting the company to pay for your additional training, you want them to set it up so that you only spend time doing any training during work hours?  Again, not really a question.  I'm just shocked that people cop such a privileged  attitude.

And, worse yet, some of you will abandon the company that invested in you.  "Nice".

If you want to get ahead, stop expecting the company you work for to help you.  They didn't help you get the job you're working at now.  Instead, do what every other profession does even when they do get some help from the company they're working for... invest in yourself.  Spend some extra hours outside of work.  It won't be wasted and it's a powerful attribute that you can mention on future resumes.

I get where you're coming from, but let's look at it this way: Investing in employee training isn't just a perk; it's a smart move for any company that wants to stay competitive and thrive in the long run.

Sure, when you got your degree or acquired your initial skills, it probably wasn't your current employer footing the bill. But think about it: Would you be as effective in your job today without that education or training? Companies benefit from skilled employees, and ongoing training ensures employees stay up-to-date with the latest advancements and industry standards.

Here's the deal: If a company neglects training, they're essentially setting themselves up for failure. As technology and industries evolve, so do the skills needed to stay relevant. Without investing in their employees' growth, companies risk falling behind competitors who do prioritize training.

Now, about expecting the company to pay for training and provide time during work hours—here's the thing: It's not about entitlement; it's about mutual benefit. When employees receive training, they become more efficient, innovative, and adaptable—all qualities that benefit the company directly.

As for employees leaving after receiving training, it's a risk, yes. But consider this: Wouldn't you rather have a team of highly skilled individuals, even if some eventually move on, than a stagnant workforce lacking in up-to-date knowledge?

Ultimately, investing in employee training is an investment in the company's future success. It's not just about being nice; it's about being strategic. So, while personal development is crucial, it's in the company's best interest to support and foster that growth. It's a win-win situation for both parties.

• duplicate

• @ Steve and @ Jonathan,

There is no question at all in my mind that the smart company will invest in it's employees.  That's not the issue I'm speaking of.

My bitching is all about the employees that will do absolutely nothing outside of normal working hours to improve themselves and they get everything they deserve... nothing.  And, to be sure, I'm not saying that they should be doing it for the company (although many companies will notice and the rewards will come).

Like I've told some folks, participation in your own success is NOT required.  Just don't bitch when the benefits bus doesn't stop at your corner.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply