Group by Count question

• I'm using a Group By statement to count items, such as the statement below. It works, the only problem is if the count is 0 for a department, it doesn't show up at all. How can I get it to display

the department and a '0' for a department that exists in the table, but returns 0 results for the

condition?

SELECT department, COUNT(*) as "Number of employees"

FROM employees

WHERE salary > 25000

GROUP BY department;

• you have to join against the master table of all the departments;

otherwise if it doesn't exist in the employees table you cannot display it

something like this:

select

alldepartments.department ,

COUNT(employees.employeeid) as "Number of employees"

from alldepartments

left outer join employees on alldepartments.department= employees.department

WHERE salary > 25000

GROUP BY alldepartments.department;

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• you have to remove the criteria from the query. You can place it in a case when statement and use sum instead of count

SELECT department, sum(case when salary > 25000 then 1 else 0 end) as "Number of employees"

FROM employee

GROUP BY department;

For better, quicker answers, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• tnocella (9/15/2009)

I'm using a Group By statement to count items, such as the statement below. It works, the only problem is if the count is 0 for a department, it doesn't show up at all. How can I get it to display

the department and a '0' for a department that exists in the table, but returns 0 results for the

condition?

FROM employees

WHERE salary > 25000

GROUP BY department;

Lowell's version is more likely the correct way to do this. Please examine his first. Another way to get this information out of just that table should be:

SELECT DISTINCT Department, EC

FROM employees E

LEFT JOIN (SELECT Department, COUNT(*) EC

FROM employees

WHERE salary > 25000

GROUP BY Department

) S

ON E.Department = S.Department

That is assuming you mean you want to show departments even if they don't have any employees making over 25000, and you want your count to be of employees who DO make over 25000.

[Edit] Mike's is better as well (Wasn't there when I started posting)

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. 😉

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• Or...

FROM employees

WHERE salary > 25000

GROUP BY ALL department;

• All better. No more replies from me until I've had some coffee! Great reminder about ALL keyword Howard.

Seth Phelabaum

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• And here's the reminder about that keyword from SQL Server 2008 BOL:

ALL

This feature will be removed in a future version of Microsoft SQL Server. Avoid using this feature in new development work, and plan to modify applications that currently use this feature.

I'd use Mike's query.

--Jonathan

• Jonathan (9/15/2009)

ALL

This feature will be removed in a future version of Microsoft SQL Server. Avoid using this feature in new development work, and plan to modify applications that currently use this feature.

What a killjoy! Here I was all excited about maybe applying ALL somewhere sometime soon. Ah well. Thanks for the heads up Jon 🙂

Seth Phelabaum

• That's news to me as well. Good spot.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply