Group by and having..

• Hi there,

very quick query- in our event booking system we have a table which has amongst other fields, the id of the agent booking, the id of the booking and the time of booking.

If i do a select on

SELECT agentid, max(booksaletime)

this will give me a list of all the agents and the last time they booked something

however, how would i then attach the relevant booking id to that.. eg if i use

SELECT agentid, bookingid, max(booksaletime)

then it obviously returns all agents, all their bookigns and the last sale time of that booking which in effect just gives me all bookings!

i know it's simple- help!

many thanks,

alex

• Select dtLastEntries.AgentID, dtLastEntries.BookSaleTime, Main.BookingID from dbo.YourTable Main inner join

(Select agentid, max(booksaletime) as booksaletime from dbo.YourTable group by agentid) dtLastEntries

on Main.AgentID = dtLastEntries.AgentID and Main.BookSaleTime = dtLastEntries.BookSaleTime

• hi cheers for the reply,

that's what i thought of doing but i wasnt sure whether there was a neater way of doing it than self joining on a date field

appears to have worked a treat though thanks again!

• It's not about being neat... It's about filtering first, then showing the data. I don't know any other set way of doing this.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply