Good T-SQL Books

• Not looking for a beginner book but rather something for fine tunning and optimizing your procs and such. I heard Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2005: T-SQL Programming is very good.

Anything you guys can recommend or should i go with that one?

Thanks in advance :hehe:

• I like Itzik Ben-Gan's inside SQL Server 2005 T-SQL programing and T-SQL Querying books.

• Another vote for Itzik's books. Absolute must reads. Kalen Delaney's book on internals is a must read.

I've heard that Kalen's book on performance and troubleshooting is good but I haven't read it yet.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I picked up Itzik's Inside SQL Server 2005: T-SQL Programming. I must say it appears to be a good read for DBA's of any level.

Thanks for the info guys.

• Go with Itzak's book.

Grant is a little shy, but I'd recommend his execution plans book as well. Available as a promotion from Red Gate software in our newsletter and on their site.

• Depends on what your procedures look like, but you could find some useful info here: http://www.sommarskog.se/. It isn't a book, but it is a source of interesting information and helped me a lot, so I thought I could mention it. Some of the articles were written long ago, but they are continually updated and expanded, and the info should be valid for both SQLS2000 and 2005.

• I got the whole series of Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2005.

1- T-SQL Querying (Itzik Ben-Gan): Only one chapter left to read! I was already an expert in query tuning, but this brought me to another level. This book is excellent.

2- T-SQL Programming (Itzik Ben-Gan): Read a few chapters, it's excellent.

3- The Storage Engine (Kalen Delaney): Not started yet, but looks promising.

4- Query Tuning Optimization (Kalen Delaney): Not started yet, but looks promising.

I've took some training with Itzik at the SQL Server Connection held in Orlando (April 2008). It's amazing how this guy knows his stuff.

I had also a session with Kalen and I was impressed by her knowledge.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply