Gmail was down yesterday, but why they did the maintenance in the morning?

• How many of you guys are using Gmail? It was down yesterday; outage lasted 100 minutes.

What suprised me from their Reliability VP's explanation[/url] was that the root cause was that they took offline a small portion of servers in the morning(Pacific time). I think they should have had a better idea on the timing: morning in Pacific time would be late morning/noon time in Eastern time.

Assuming most of the Gmail users are US-based, they should have known the Gmail was expecting heavy volumes of requests during that time-window.

They would choose a better time-window to do the upgrade next time, i believe/hope.

• I'm going to hazard a guess that either something went wrong with the maintenance, or the "maintenance" was actually disaster recovery, but some PR person said, "don't tell them something went horribly wrong, they'll lose confidence in our product".

You'll possibly get more data on a Google site of some sort. They must have discussion forums or something.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply