Giving access to view the database listing. tg

• I am not new to systems admin but am fairly new to SQL 2000 administration.  I am going thru a wizard (to set up a connection to a sql 2000 database) and when I point to the sql server, I cannot browse the list of databases.  I know this is basic stuff but I cannot figure why the user I am trying to use (IUSR) cannot even browse the database listing.  He is a user with the "public" database role for that database but he doesn't have any permissions to the other databases on the server. Can someone please point me in the right direction?  thanks already

• What client/wizard are you using?

If your user is not a user in the other databases, you won't even be able to enumerate a list of them.  And if your user is a user in the other DBs, if he has no permissions there, what are you trying to accomplish?

There is no "i" in team, but idiot has two.
  • Thanks for the reply.

I am going thru a training session for setting up a virtual directory for users to access the sql data thru the web site using xml queries.

If you could just tell me what I need to do to give someone the ability to be able to enumerate the database list I would really appreciate it.  Any other helpful info would be great as well.  tom

• as the previous poster mentioned, typically users can only see those databases that they have been granted access to.   it does depend on the tool you're using though.  for instance enterprise manager will show them every database but they won't have access, where sql query analyzer will not enumerate a list of databases that the user has no rights in.

in enterprise manager, go to the security/logins tab and then check that one of the users you want to be able to see the available databases actually has been granted access to it.

• I have gone to security/logins and have checked the permit box next to each database for user IUSR and he has the "public" database role to each as well.  He still cannot enumerate the database list.  I am trying to do this from IIS console and am creating a new virtual directory and when I go to the "data source" tab I cannot get a database listing.  It says "unable to display the list of databases on '(local)'.  It works fine if I use the sa user.  help.  thanks already

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply