Give users ability to export data

• Hi All,

I have a stored proc(which takes one parameter) which output a result set. I have been manually outputting the data to a csv file as the file is not to contain the column headings....and since only I have query analyzer, only I can perform this.

Question is how can I give my users the ability to do this without giving them query analyzer? I tried playing around with MSSQL reporting services, but the heading is always output in the csv file.

I posted the article in this forum because its about data transformation...and not because Im looking for a DTS solution, but if there is one....or any other that you can think of...please let me know.

Cheers,

Terry

• Terry,

Can you give your users a web application that will execute the stored procecure? 

Exporting to a csv file without column headings is easy in DTS, but then you have to provide a way for the users to execute the DTS package.  We've used a method where the users's app writes to a table which is read by a scheduled job.  If the data in the table indicates the need for an export, the job executes a DTS package that does the export.

Greg

Greg

• Check books on line for OSQL.

Gives the ability to produce a text file from a command prompt.

You can throw a vb or web front end on to accomplaish easily.

------------------------------
    The Users are always right - when I'm not wrong!

• After much agonising.....I finally built a web app to extract the data which simply called the stored procedure then output the data to a text file using a stream writer. I went down the isql/osql/dts path initially, but the complexity of the stored procedure and the length of each record set ruled them out. Not bad for a first .Net application though!

Cheers,

Terry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply