Give select permission to view, but not to underlying tables in 2005

• I am kinda new to managing permissions in 2005, hence this question.

I have a user that is connecting via ODBC. I want to give the user access to a view, but not to the underlying tables.

I have given the user access to the view and when I connect with their id, it tells me that I need permission to the underlying tables.

I can get the view to work by giving permission to the underlying tables, but then the user can access the tables if they know the names.

(it's in the documentation for the project so they'll know them)

Thanks in advance for any responses to this post.

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• Is the view in the same schema as the table? If not, then the schemas need to have the same owner. I actually have a blog post about this which you can find here.

• Jack Corbett (7/16/2009)

Is the view in the same schema as the table? If not, then the schemas need to have the same owner. I actually have a blog post about this which you can find here.

Both view and underlying tables have the same owner.

(I can't bring up your blog post in IE. I had to bring it up in Firefox. Just in case you cared.)

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• Huh, that is very odd. Both the need to grant permissions and the fact the blog won't display in FF (that's what I use).

Are the objects (views, tables) in the same database?

What if you use SSMS and do an EXECUTE AS that user and select from the view? This will show if it is SQL Server or ODBC.

• (I can't bring up your blog post in IE. I had to bring it up in Firefox. Just in case you cared.)

Firefox works, IE doesn't.

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• Jack Corbett (7/16/2009)

Huh, that is very odd. Both the need to grant permissions and the fact the blog won't display in FF (that's what I use).

Are the objects (views, tables) in the same database?

What if you use SSMS and do an EXECUTE AS that user and select from the view? This will show if it is SQL Server or ODBC.

The view points to table in the database and outside of the database. I only want to give access to the view, not the underlying tables directly. If they know the name of the tables and the other databases, then they will have access when I give them public access to the other databases.

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• Your permissions issues is due to the fact that the view is accessing a table outside the database. In 2000, cross-database ownership chaining was enabled by default, in 2005 that is disabled by default as part of the effort to reduce surface area. You can enable cross database ownership chaining although it is not recommended. Here is the BOL entry for it, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188694(SQL.90).aspx

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply