ghost msdb file

• Hello.

Greetings to everyone, I'm a new user.

Here is my problem: I migrated a DB from a SQL 2000 to a 2005 (export/import).

All is working fine, except a strange message I find in the sql server log file:

I/O error 23(error not found) detected during read at offset 0x00000000b88000 in file 'U:\sql\data\msdbdata.mdf'

I find this one time a day. The really strange thing is that this path is not one of the path I'm using to store data files (located on a different disk), so I don't understand from where this message is coming.

I'm really puzzled. How can I understand what is causing this error message?

Thanks for your help.

Cips

• Where do you see the error meassage? Anything in the event logs on the server? How about in the SQL logs? Sounds like you're having I/O issues on the server which will lead to corruption if not fixed. Personally, I'd make sure I have complete, uncorrupted backups of all your datatabases before something goes horribly wrong. Have you run DBCC CheckDb on all your databases to determine if there are any other issues?

How can I understand what is causing this error message?

Try Google - I'm having some issues hitting various sites right now so I can't do much searching for you.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Can you post a few messages before and after this one within your log?

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• as you say you are a new user........

your system database files are not necessarily in the same location as your user databases.

what does the query

select type_desc, physical_name from master.sys.master_files where db_name(database_id) = 'msdb'

return

to see if the location in the error is your msdb data file

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• tosscrosby (3/31/2010)

Where do you see the error meassage? Anything in the event logs on the server? How about in the SQL logs? Sounds like you're having I/O issues on the server which will lead to corruption if not fixed. Personally, I'd make sure I have complete, uncorrupted backups of all your datatabases before something goes horribly wrong. Have you run DBCC CheckDb on all your databases to determine if there are any other issues?

Hi. Thanks for the answer.

This error is in the SQL logs. Nothing is registered in the event viewer. I ran the checkDb on all the DB and no errors were reported. All looks fine, and actually all the DB are running fine.

But this message make me a bit worried....

• MeltonDBA (3/31/2010)

Can you post a few messages before and after this one within your log?

Hi.

I don't have the messages right now, but I'll do it as soon as I can access them.

Thanks in the meantime.

• george sibbald (3/31/2010)

as you say you are a new user........

your system database files are not necessarily in the same location as your user databases.

No, this is not the case. I already checked this, and all the Db (also the system DB) are located in a different disk and in a different path. I can't find any reference to this path anywhere in the DB.

And I don't understand where it get this path....

Thanks

• does that file actually exist?

is this message occuring on startup during the database recovery phase?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• george sibbald (3/31/2010)

does that file actually exist?

is this message occuring on startup during the database recovery phase?

No, the file does not exist and, from what I know, never existed in the past.

No, this message is logged once a day, but I can not identify any activity/job related to it. The DB is up, and I'm not aware of any job running in this time frame, even if I guess that something is running...

Thanks,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply