Getting Your DBA Teams Scripts into Git

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Getting Your DBA Teams Scripts into Git

• In Visual Studio working with git (and GitHub, Gitlab, etc.) seems more streamlined and user friendly.  SSMS clunky.  For almost everything SQL Server related I use VS but still have SSMS open all the time.  The SQL Server Object Explorer in VS doesn't provide a way to view object dependencies

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• Thank you very much for this article, Steve. One of my responsibilities is administering our GitHub Enterprise. Getting to this point was a long and arduous task, but I'm glad we're finally here.

However, there are some categories of employees, who should be using Git, but aren't. One are our DBAs. They all use a network share somewhere (I don't have access to it, but have seen how they use it). When I was helping our developers migrate from TFS to Git, I asked the DBAs managers if I could do the same with the DBAs. She said no, that we'd have to do that, "sometime in the future". And that is the end of it.

But your article does give me advance as to how I can help the DBAs adopt Git. I'm going to keep this handle.

Thanks again.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Steve Collins wrote:

In Visual Studio working with git (and GitHub, Gitlab, etc.) seems more streamlined and user friendly.  SSMS clunky.  For almost everything SQL Server related I use VS but still have SSMS open all the time.  The SQL Server Object Explorer in VS doesn't provide a way to view object dependencies

VS is easier, but lots of database pros don't use it or have it.

• Rod at work wrote:

Thank you very much for this article, Steve. One of my responsibilities is administering our GitHub Enterprise. Getting to this point was a long and arduous task, but I'm glad we're finally here.

However, there are some categories of employees, who should be using Git, but aren't. One are our DBAs. They all use a network share somewhere (I don't have access to it, but have seen how they use it). When I was helping our developers migrate from TFS to Git, I asked the DBAs managers if I could do the same with the DBAs. She said no, that we'd have to do that, "sometime in the future". And that is the end of it.

But your article does give me advance as to how I can help the DBAs adopt Git. I'm going to keep this handle.

Thanks again.

Rod at work wrote:

Thank you very much for this article, Steve. One of my responsibilities is administering our GitHub Enterprise. Getting to this point was a long and arduous task, but I'm glad we're finally here.

Thanks again.

Good luck getting them to move

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply