Getting the grid back

• Also Ctrl+Shft+D does do something, it refreshes the cache in SQL Prompt, which is funny considering this is a Red-Gate site. Opportunity for a product plug there 🙂

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• It looks like there's more than one problem with Microsoft's SQL documentation. They do have a bit of it to maintain, but you'd think they would get the docs for one of their flagship products done well.

• happycat59 (5/15/2014)

Yes, the documentation does say CTRL + Shift + D however, as far as I can tell, this does nothing when using SSMS 2012. CTRL + D does change the output to grid - when the query is next executed. Also, if you go to the menu "Query-->Results To" it shows you the keyboard shortcut for "Results to Grid" which is "Ctrl+D"

When I use CTRL + Shift + D on its own in SSMS 2014, nothing happens because SSMS is waiting for the second key of a chord (in the status line at the bottom of the screen you get the message "(Ctrl+Shift+D) was pressed. Waiting for second key of chord...".

+1

Koen Verbeeck (5/16/2014)

Am I the only one who thought the question was worded a bit strange?

However you would not like to get the results back in a grid

Anyway, as stated above, the "correct" answer is clearly incorrect.

+1 -- yep, a little odd...

• I get it. Ctrl+Shift+D would not get the results back in a grid, however, Ctrl+D will.

Testing, experience, or a quick look at the menus in SSMS (Query > Results To > Results to Grid Ctrl+D) will all trump the documentation.

Fix the doc and give us back our point.

• As is often the case, I am now thoroughly confused.

I am pretty sure that I need a vacation, or at least a long weekend.

I assumed that "NOT" was typo and was meant to be "NOW". In that case, Control + D was the correct answer for SQL 2012.

• raulggonzalez (5/16/2014)

If you have results to text and you WOULD NOT want them back to grid, the best answer is DO NOTHING... and it will stay as is.

Definitely, that negative did not help, and I agree with others as BOL is wrong... tool tip text over the button itself stays Ctrl+D.

Yes. Do nothing would be the correct answer to not get the results back to a grid.

• paul.goldstraw (5/16/2014)

Richard Warr (5/16/2014)

Easy one, thanks.

You have the only working copy of SQL Server 2012 where CTRL+SHIFT+D actually does something?

Maybe he's running SQL Server 2012 QOTD Edition? 😉

No, I'd noticed that the thread didn't have any "Easy one" posts so thought I'd better put one in 🙂

• paul.goldstraw (5/16/2014)

Also Ctrl+Shft+D does do something, it refreshes the cache in SQL Prompt, which is funny considering this is a Red-Gate site. Opportunity for a product plug there 🙂

Agreed.

Tony
    ------------------------------------
    Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

• Richard Warr (5/16/2014)

paul.goldstraw (5/16/2014)

Richard Warr (5/16/2014)

Easy one, thanks.

You have the only working copy of SQL Server 2012 where CTRL+SHIFT+D actually does something?

Maybe he's running SQL Server 2012 QOTD Edition? 😉

No, I'd noticed that the thread didn't have any "Easy one" posts so thought I'd better put one in 🙂

Well played sir 🙂

• Thanks Steve, this was not not a great question! 😀

Everything is awesome!

• I tried this several times and even for the question the other day that referred to this, no go.. this does not work. I get the error that this is not a key combination.... perhaps the author has configured a custom set of keystrokes.

• bgdjwoods (5/16/2014)

I tried this several times and even for the question the other day that referred to this, no go.. this does not work. I get the error that this is not a key combination.... perhaps the author has configured a custom set of keystrokes.

I had a similar problem with 2012 where using CTRL+R didn't toggle the results window. I followed the advice on this page. Perhaps you're affected in the same way?

• Pretty cool.. that did work.. now the question of the day, how did it get into a state that required reset... regardless... thanks for the head's up.

• Got it write by ignoring what I knew to be right and going with the wrong documentation. :hehe:

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply