Getting started...

• I sure that this has been covered before,

I work at a small company as a software developer; my work with databases has been limited to using small MS Access files via the Jet database engine. Back in the mists of time, while at university, I did a module on databases. This module was a very broad and shallow view of working with databases. Our company has a SQL Server (2K) for the ERP system but no one here dose any administering of it; it seems to be very happy left alone to do its thing.

Now the crux of this posting, I may in the near future have to develop an in house application that will be required to use the SQL server, before I do anything on that server I would like to lean more about: SQL Server 2000 (how to ‘use’ it), the role of DBA, and most importantly database design.

Can you recommend a good book to get me started on this. I know it is a very large subject that would probable take many many books to cover in detail, but if there are one or two books that would give me a solid foundation to work from…

Thanks for your time.

Gary

• I recommend "Inside SQL Server 2000" by Kalen Delaney, any of Ken Henderson's books, and SQL Server Books Online, which is SQL Server's user manual and is included with SQL Server.

Greg

Greg

• I'm sure everyone has their personal favourite - maybe you can just pick the one that makes the "most listed"...

mine is "professional sql server 2k programming" - a wrox publication and written by Robert Vieira and is great for a comprehensive introduction to sql server...

as for db design...maybe you should go to the source

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Thanks Greg & Sushila

I had already looked at reviews for many books and came up with the following short list:

Microsoft SQL Server DBA Survival Guide (Mark Spenik, Orryn Sledge)

Beginning SQL Server 2000 DBA: From Novice to Professional (Tony Bain)

Professional SQL Server 2000 Programming (R Vieira)

Inside SQL Server 2000 (Kalen Delaney)

My plan was to get one of the first two books list closely followed by one of the second two books listed (using SQL Server Books Online for reference). So it is good to see the two books, that I chose for my second book, be recommended here (just got to decide between them now).

Dose anyone have any views on the two DBA books?

Thank you

Gary

• I'm the lone SQL developer where I work.

I dont know about the dba books, but i have a dogeared viera book that lives just to the left of my mouse pad.  I've been using sql server for three years, and oracle for 2 years before that.  the viera book is very comprehensive, and has good examples, and, what helps me - screenprints everywhere.

I alos refer constantly to 2 other books - "SQL Server 2000 DTS Step by step", by Rabeler, and "Microsoft Access Projects with Microsoft SQL Server" by Albrecht Nicol - They are really helpful.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply