Getting one column from a sp_help_Job

• I'd like to renew this topic.  I have not gotten an answer.  Anybody out there got any suggestions?

I would like to access and use the column current_execution_status from the sp_help_job stored procedure.  I'd like to say

DECLARE @CES AS int

Select @CES  = current_execution_status FROM sp_help_job @job_name = '<jobname>', @job_aspect = 'JOB'

This does not seem to work.

Any suggestions

Steve

• You are on the right track.  You can load the results returned from the stored procedure into a temporary table and then retrieve it from there.

below is an example:

set nocount on

CREATE TABLE #loginfo  (FileId int, FileSize int, StartOffset int, FSeqNo  int, Status int, Parity smallint, Created varchar(20))

INSERT INTO #loginfo   EXEC ('DBCC LOGINFO')

select * from #LOGINFO

set nocount off

HTH

Billy

• OK I tried creating a table but sp_help_job must create a table wothin the procedure because I am getting "An INSERT EXEC statement cannot be nested".

So let me ask my question another way.  I am trying to determine if a job started within a procedure is still running.  How can I do that?  I want to wait to make sure a job ends prior to going to the next step.  Is the current execution status in a table in msdb somewhere?

Steve

• You may create your own version of sp_help_job.

Do you want to be notified before going to next step? What do you try to achieve?

• Here is what I am doing.  I am creating a job that will backup the log of two databases (A and B) and do a complete backups.  When these complete successfully I will get the latest backup file name from A and restore it as B and then backup B.  I am using Maintenance Plan jobs to create the backups so that Backup set patterns are not disrupted. So when I start a job I need to know when it is complete so that I can move on to the next step of doing the restore.

• Did you get a solution to this ? I am looking to do something similar re. Sart job, wait for job to complete before moving on in a proc.

Rick.

• Further to this, I am currently executing the command which is found in step 1 of the job from the system tables. This then executes synchronously thus no need for a check and wait loop.

It would be nice to count the output from sp_job_help without having to build the table to collect the output. Not sure if this can be done though.

• You want to look into xp_sqlagent_enum_jobs as this is the proc that's nested into sp_help_job, so you can use this to write results directly to a temp table and then use.

Good Luck,

Chris Mackin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply