Getting back to SQL Server

• Hello, I worked with SQL 7 and SQL 2000 many years ago (I also worked some with Oracle). About 14 years ago I got involved with AIX and then SAN administration. I've been completely disconnected with SQL Server and Microsoft technologies during that time. I'm now considering getting back into the DBA environment as it seems like there are just more opportunities.

I'm looking for the best way to get retrained. I'm guessing there are SQL DBA certifications similar to the old MCSE. Which certifications should I be looking at? Where is the best place to get the required training (maybe in class room, or web based or even a great book or set of books)? Should I start my focus on SQL2008 or 2012 or 2014?

Since I have been working more with mainframes and UNIX servers I want to create a simple Windows Server environment at home. Any suggestions? Can I just buy some cheap server and then install Windows server (I don't even know what version) along with SQL. Is there a way for me to get affordable window server and SQL CDs to install my little lab environment? Does it make sense to get 2 servers so that I can get familiar with Windows/SQL clustering.

Any of your thoughts or suggestions would be extremely helpful.

• rondebbs 48050 (12/26/2014)

Hello, I worked with SQL 7 and SQL 2000 many years ago (I also worked some with Oracle). About 14 years ago I got involved with AIX and then SAN administration. I've been completely disconnected with SQL Server and Microsoft technologies during that time. I'm now considering getting back into the DBA environment as it seems like there are just more opportunities.

I'm looking for the best way to get retrained. I'm guessing there are SQL DBA certifications similar to the old MCSE. Which certifications should I be looking at? Where is the best place to get the required training (maybe in class room, or web based or even a great book or set of books)? Should I start my focus on SQL2008 or 2012 or 2014?

Since I have been working more with mainframes and UNIX servers I want to create a simple Windows Server environment at home. Any suggestions? Can I just buy some cheap server and then install Windows server (I don't even know what version) along with SQL. Is there a way for me to get affordable window server and SQL CDs to install my little lab environment? Does it make sense to get 2 servers so that I can get familiar with Windows/SQL clustering.

Any of your thoughts or suggestions would be extremely helpful.

Can't help on the Windows side but you can buy the Developer's Edition of SQL Server for about $60 USD. It's actually the full blown Enterprise Edition with special licensing not to be "used for production" and it's worth every penny. It also works on a regular edition of Windows so you don't need to buy Windows Server. Check Amazon.com for the Developer Edition.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Agreed, Developer's Edition is a wonderful, and very cheap considering, product for what you're talking about.

Also, get a good book on SQL Server 2008 (or later) Administration. Kalen Delaney's internals books are always superb as well.

But be forewarned. There have been huge changes to the product since SQL 2000. [Although, in one case of "the more things change, the more they stay the same", the new GUI is still somewhat flaky (although not nearly as bad as "Enterprise Mangler", as I "affectionately" called it).]

I guess you could something similar by reviewing that "What's changed in this version" from SQL 2005 on, but that will be more verbose and less understandable than a well-edited book.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear." "Norm", on "Cheers". Also from "Cheers", from "Carla": "You need to know 3 things about Tortelli men: Tortelli men draw women like flies; Tortelli men treat women like flies; Tortelli men's brains are in their flies".

• Thanks for the info. I will get the developers edition. Should I start with 2012 or 2014? Is 2014 being adopted yet? I'll start my new SQL Career sometime in mid 2015.

Also, what are the various Certifications for SQL DBAs.

Thanks - Brad

• rondebbs 48050 (12/26/2014)

Thanks for the info. I will get the developers edition. Should I start with 2012 or 2014? Is 2014 being adopted yet? I'll start my new SQL Career sometime in mid 2015.

Also, what are the various Certifications for SQL DBAs.

Thanks - Brad

Not much difference between the two except for "Hekaton" in 2014 and I don't actually know of anyone using it correctly. I'd go for 2014 just because it sounds better when you talk about it to a possible employer.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I don't see 2014 certs yet, but I'd agree with Jeff, work on this. Most of the changes are in limited use, but if you learn other stuff, it will apply to previous versions. Lots of people still use 2008/R2, so be sure you know what works there and doesn't. Most T-SQL stuff and AlwaysOn that changed in 2012.

https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/sql-certification.aspx

• I went to the Microsoft store and paid for and downloaded the sql server 2014 developer edition. Install seemed to go fine on my Windows 8.1 - in c:\windows\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server. Problem is now I don't see any way of running the Management Studio. If I do a search for this I can not find it. Any ideas?

• Did you install it? Depending on what options you selected, the client tools may not have been selected by default in the installer.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks, it all works great now.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply