Free As In Speech

• There's no contradiction. I don't respond to form letters. If the person has something general to say, rather than something specific about me, my profile, or at least my photo, then I don't consider it original. That's beside the point though so I didn't elaborate it. My point was that colleges are producing people who can't write, can't research, and can't organise, their own thoughts. I am wondering if that is partly a result of it being so much easier these days to copy someone else's work, thus escaping college altogether and graduating without learning anything.

As for the other issue, It is a matter or personal preference that I tend to reject guys who can't communicate well in writing. I spent 10 years married to someone who was not my intellectual equal, and I regret it, and I want to avoid getting into the same situation again. In this age of electronic communications, it's likely that the first impression is the only impression you are going to make, so it's quite valuable to make a good one. I do forgive the occasional response where it's clear the person just isn't good at spelling, but still has something important to say.

But to get back on topic, I think it's important that when you didn't do something yourself, you don't make it sound like you did. Being single, I tend to eat out quite a bit because cooking is a lot of work, but the business of saying you cooked a dinner when somebody else did it for you, is wrong. Besides, no catering company could possibly cook as well as I can

Jasmine

PS: For more information on how to write a proper introductory email to a woman (especially one like myself), check out my blog.

http://blog.myspace.com/jasmine1971

• What a touchy-feely, politically correct piece of rubbish. Out in the real world employers are only interested in results not "sorry all those people died, but I nearly got it right and I did learn from my mistake"

• Well done for missing the point entirely! As the discussion is about education of people then real world employers would be far more interested in getting staff who can do the work because they have done it before rather than employing staff with good grades but who paid someone else to do it.

The point I tried to make, but obviously failed at in your case, was the education system relys too heavily on exams and written work as a way of grading the capabilities of the students. A more accurate, but also more intensive and expensive way of doing it would be to interview the students asking them to explain why they did something a certain way.

That way there would be less chance of people with good grades going into jobs where they do have a high chance of accidentally killing people because they have little experience of actually doing the work themselves.

• Pay someone else to get the work done and take credit for the effort?

Sounds like the definition of every manager / boss / owner I ever worked for.

LOL that I am to believe my boss explained to his boss which of us actually did the work and that at bonus / raise / promotion time the reward matched the level of effort.

I've also been in this field a while and at am very proud of the level of effort I put in to learn what I know. I've programmed commercially in a quite a few of languages and IDEs until I decided learning one more just didn't appeal to me and moved to Architecting.

I was one of those developers who had to write everything (although borrowing from Knuth was ok) to ensure I knew it was as good as it could get.

Now when I am forced to code I check the intra- and inter- nets for public domain components which have been coded and throughly tested by others.

And somehow I am supposed to get up in arms about some kid thinking this is also an ok path for completion of his near ridiculous CS assignment. I'm supposed to worry this kid isn't going to know how to do the job when I hire him or her.

Let's not be hypocritical. The kid isn't going to know how to do the job even if he/she writes every silly ass bubble sort, linked list, "Hello, World", yada yada, bit of code him or her self for every coding class they ever sign up for.

College is a joke. It's a test of whether you can put up with it more than it is any kind of learning experience.

Good grades, bad grades, mediocre grades - did their own work or relied on the kindness (or greed) of strangers - who cares? I have to teach them what I want them to know anyway.

• On August 11, 2006, the criminal owner of EssayRelief tried to KILL a news reporter and cameraman who were investigating the crimes and fraud of his shady company in Pakistan:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=400292&in_page_id=1770

• Many people complained nowadays the high school graduates cannot read and write and do maths comparing to the other countries.  Those graduates are the one going th college.  So they cannot read and write in high school, of course they cannot read and write in college. Rent-a-code is the only way. In college I actually did an exam for my friend so he could graduate.  I knew it was stupid but it was his loss.

So many companies complain they cannot find any good people to work so they  have to hire H1 (foreigner) to work or outsource the work to other country.

It is a cycle.  But I do believe there are many kids study very hard and do their work.  Unfortunately when a person find a bad apple in a barrel even the other apples are good, they will go and get another barrel.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply