Formulas/Calculations - RS vs. Crystal

• Am I just being dense or does RS significantly lack the formula/calculated field capability of Crystal? In Crystal I can define a new Formula, base it on complex logic, db fields, report fields (i.e. Summary values or other formulas), then use that formula as a field in a Detail or Group Header/Footer line.

In RS it seems I'm limited to using the database aggregate and conversion functions against a db field in formulas.

Did I miss that day in class?

• You aren't being dense.  SQL Server 2000 Report Server is still in interation 1.  I am having the same issue right now in choosing an enterprise report engine.  We are a Microsoft shop with a commitment to the .Net architecture, and are currently gearing up a new enterprise data center. 

I have a bunch of Access reports that I need to reengineer for scalability, so I am agonizing over the choice of report engines.  I would like to go with SQL Server 2K Report Server, knowing that future integration will be tight in Yukon, but it just doesn't cut the mustard right now.  Crystal Report Server on the other hand is a mature well known product.  However I fear that I would be committing our shop to a unsupportable product line if Crystal succumbs to the 800 pound gorilla.

I will probably cobble together an interim solution using the Access reports in their current format, using DTS pacakages to invoke them with OLE automation, until Yukon comes out next year.

Has anyone seen my civil liberties? I think I lost them under a Bush.

• I have found the same issues.  I have only being using it for testing purposes in order to stay ahead of the curve.  I have used Crystal extensively in the past until I came to my new company which uses Actuate.  I found that Actuate blows crystal away, especially at the enterprise level.  Look into it if you are afraid of Crystal going away.  As for the calculated field issue, change your underlying query whenever possible to handle the proposed calculated field.  I try to eliminate having calculations controlled in two different places, i.e. SQL Server code vs. Reporting tool code.

Tom

• I think you might be dense or microsoft at least doen't make it intuitive. 

Goto the Data Tab in report designer and click on the ... next to the dataset that you want to add a calculated field to

then in the Fields tab you can add a calculated field and set the expressn to any vb.net expression

So in actuality RS is much superior to Crystal in its formulas and Calculated fields

• From a MS guy I have been in touch with and some other contacts I'd say that Microsoft knows that this is an area that needs a bunch of work and it will get much better.

BTW: you can add a .net class to your report code and call the methods of that class to add just about any functions you might want.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply