Fixing SysDepends

• If the dependency viewer was polished up a bit, would you be able to use that instead of running queries on sysdepends?

• It's got a lot of polishing to do before I could go there.

We'd have to be able to do reports based on selected objects and how many levels down we'd want the list to go. Then maybe be able to import that in anything like excel or?? to be able to flag the work that's been done.

• Get the polish out and start polishing 😉

• I'll start by polishing mine before I polish their's .

• About the utility:

Good idea, horrible implementation. Looks like early prototype not a beta version.

Very disapointed. I used SQL Compare (GREAT TOOL) from the same company but this ulility looks like written by a totally different team.

1. At the current stage this utility might be useful is your database is very small so when you get the graph it is managable. But if you have a small DB - you do not need this utility in the first place.

2. Buggy: I figured out that if you want to get the relationships for a specific object just click the object and you can we all dependencies. The clicking part does not work 50% of the time. Try changing the zoom and you will see what I mean.

3. Buggy: I noticed that the mouse over shows some kind of relationship. I could not figure mouse over WHAT displays this relationship because it almost always works on the background and not on any connecting lines.

4. The whole graphing idea is missing a point. You would want a graph to help you visualy find an object. How can you find a tree when you paint the whole forest? The graph should only be drawn after you selected an object you want the dependencies displayed for.

---------------------------------------------
    [font="Verdana"]Nothing is impossible.
    It is just a matter of time and money.[/font]

• The product is definantly a good idea and is off to a nice start.

A few of the lines between object came up in maroon, this color isn't in the key, what does it indicate?

The database I tried it on has around 350 objects in it, the scrolling side to side for miles gets pretty annoying.

A right click to view or edit an object would be a nice addition.

I use Red Gate products now and I look forward to see how this product evolves.

• Wish List

1) Need t Generate the Diagram for the result set of the Objects which are returned by an input .

2) Printing

3) Would like to see the report in Pages. Like in Visio where i can create a page for a selected objects.

4) re arrange the screen and give more space for diagram . now at least 15 % is going for left side colour legends.

5) make it More neater. when compared to SQL Compare this need to go miles to match with teh same.

Jeswanth

--------------------------------

• Wish List

1) Need t Generate the Diagram for the result set of the Objects which are returned by an input .

2) Printing

3) Would like to see the report in Pages. Like in Visio where i can create a page for a selected objects.

4) re arrange the screen and give more space for diagram . now at least 15 % is going for left side colour legends.

5) make it More neater. when compared to SQL Compare this need to go miles to match with teh same.

Jeswanth

--------------------------------

• I am the only person working on a database with over 100 tables, 50 views, 150 functions and a couple of dozen procedures. I've been annoyed for some time that SYSDEPENDS is virtually useless and decided to have another look for a tool/script to work around the problem.

When I came across this article which says "This small FREE utility" I thought 'Great! Just what I need'. However, when I clicked on the link, the page says the price is $295!

This is somewhat different from "FREE" and well outside the budget I could justify for such a tool, since I'd probably use it less than a dozen times a year. While Redgate do offer a trial, this isn't much use if I want to be able to use it every few months when I get asked to make changes.

Derek

• Must be that they've released a product to do this, probably/hopefully better than the free version that was released. The free version was okay, but really lacked a lot of features that would have made the program more useful - exports, printing, better ability to organize/search, etc. If you look through this thread, I think you can see the general thoughts on what was missing.

I will agree that Free <> $295 and I don't know if the cost is warranted in this case (for me anyway), but I'm sure there are people out there who find this tool useful and will pay for it. As for the link, this article is over a year old and a lot can change in a year. Some of the products I bought and loved a year ago are no longer available or have been bought out. 🙂

-Pete

• The site was acquired by RedGate a while ago (between the time the article was published and now). That might have something to do with it...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• OK - checked out the site again (it's been a while). This offering from Red-Gate is substantially different from the version offered for free. The one offered for free was decent, but really not an immense help. It didn't have anything cross-database, couldn't be saved, and was really only a very basic viewer. The current product looks quite a bit more robust and able to do things that the free version couldn't.

My understanding was that the free version was primarily out there to see if there was an interest in developing/expanding into a full commercial product. Apparently there was enough interest for Red-Gate to do just that.

I think this was a Red-Gate project from the start, just one that's morphed into a much more fully-featured commercial app.

-Pete

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply