Find busiest Databases

• My sql server 2008 R2 is experiencing memory pressure, use the following query to find out the busiest databases.

SELECT SUM(deqs.total_logical_reads) TotalPageReads,

SUM(deqs.total_logical_writes) TotalPageWrites,

CASE

WHEN DB_NAME(dest.dbid) IS NULL THEN 'AdhocSQL'

ELSE DB_NAME(dest.dbid) END Databasename

FROM sys.dm_exec_query_stats deqs

CROSS APPLY sys.dm_exec_sql_text(deqs.sql_handle) AS dest

GROUP BY DB_NAME(dest.dbid)

TotalPageReadsTotalPageWritesDatabasename

145503AdhocSQL

48 0db4

16 0msdb

173 0db3

3785 3db2

106330db1

0 0db5

It looks like there are lots of Adhoc queries. How can I tell which adhoc queries use most memory? Thanks in advance.

• The majority of the memory usage on an instance is not going to be by the queries, it's going to be the buffer pool, the data cache should be the largest portion probably followed by the plan cache.

Queries only take memory grants for things like hash tables or sorts, those should not be large in the overall scheme of things.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • When I ran DBCC memorystatus, MEMORYCLERK_SQLOPTIMIZER consumes about 35.5 GB of memory out of 64 GB total memory. Does it mean I have too many adhoc queries?

• Crazy idea, does anyone know what version the memory leak on stats was in? If I recall there is some sort of memory leak with auto update stats async on. I can't recall the version or where the memory shows in dbcc memorystatus.

• This query will let you know which memory objects are taking all the space. It may help in trouble shooting the issue

SELECT a.type,(a.pages_allocated_count)*8 as mem_used_KB

FROM sys.dm_os_memory_objects a

inner join sys.dm_os_memory_clerks b

on a.page_allocator_address = b.page_allocator_address

where b.type = 'MEMORYCLERK_SQLOPTIMIZER'

order by mem_used_KB desc

Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to post to get the best help[/url]

• It is MEMOBJ_INDEXSTATSMGR that consumes the most memory. I don't find much information about it. Can you help direct me to find the related resource? Thanks

• I had a similar problem recently. The memobj_indexstatsmgr of memoryclerk_sqloptimizer consumed most of the memory and caused sql server to emit message "There is insufficient system memory in resource pool 'internal' to run this query" in the error log. We could see it gradually creeping up using perfmon. It was 2008 R2 64 bit that we used.

But after we applied the service pack 2, it no longer crept. Refer to this bug list http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2528583 , fix of id 657405 seems relative, but I'm not sure.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply