Filtered indexes and statistics

• Hi all

I'm interested to know how many people who are using 2008 have used either filtered indexes, filtered statistics or both. If you have, can you please let me know what your experience with them is.

Disclaimer: I'm doing presentations at PASS this year on both indexes and statistics, and this info may influence those presentations.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I haven't used either in a production environment yet. I've used both in tests.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Any findings/conclusions from testing?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• It's difficult to get the right set of conditions to see filtered indexes get chosen by the optimizer. Hints frequently don't help. It's VERY difficult to get filtered statistics to make a difference. It seems like these things are just a tad persnickety within the optimizer.

However, when I did see performance improvements from the filtered indexes, they were fairly solid. It's got value. Just determining when the value will be evident is not something I'm able to do at this point.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Thanks. I need to play with both, but since I don't have an actual prod server to play with, it's going to have to be in a lab based on a made-up database.

I know there's at least one bug around filtered index selection, I've got a connect item filed and apparently it'll be fixed in a future patch.

Gail Shaw

• Grant Fritchey (6/18/2009)

It's difficult to get the right set of conditions to see filtered indexes get chosen by the optimizer.

This has been my experience as well. I love the idea of filtered indexes, but haven't been able to put them to work.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply