Filter dates to include holidays and weekends

• Hi All

I have a problem trying to loop through my calendar table which has all dates and public holidays eg.

I want to include all records if it is a monday since Friday if this query is run the same would happend if it is a public holiday/s but if it was a normal weekday for example a tuesday then i only want to inlude everything since yesterday 7:00am in this case the monday.

snip on the calendar:

dt                                                     isWeekday isHoliday Y      FY     Q    M    D    DW   monthname dayname   W    HolidayDescription              

------------------------------------------------------ --------- --------- ------ ------ ---- ---- ---- ---- --------- --------- ---- --------------------------------

2000-01-02 00:00:00                                    0         0         2000   2000   1    1    2    1    January   Sunday    2    NULL

2000-01-03 00:00:00                                    1         0         2000   2000   1    1    3    2    January   Monday    2    NULL

2000-01-04 00:00:00                                    1         0         2000   2000   1    1    4    3    January   Tuesday   2    NULL

Here is the code

DECLARE @lastWorkingDay datetime

SELECT @lastWorkingDay = getdate()

WHILE (SELECT dbo.CALENDAR.isWeekday

FROM dbo.CALENDAR

WHERE CONVERT(varchar(8), dbo.CALENDAR.dt, 112) =CONVERT(varchar(8),getdate(), 112)) <> 1

BEGIN

SELECT     COUNT(*) AS [COUNT],

dbo.DEC_TXN.CUSTOMER,

dbo.DEC_TXN.STATUS,

dbo.STATUS.STATUS_DESC

FROM       dbo.DEC_TXN INNER JOIN

dbo.CALENDAR ON CONVERT(varchar(8), dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD, 112) = CONVERT(varchar(8), dbo.CALENDAR.dt, 112) INNER JOIN

dbo.STATUS ON dbo.DEC_TXN.STATUS = dbo.STATUS.STATUS

WHERE     (dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD >= DATEADD(hh, - 17, CONVERT(datetime, CAST(MONTH(@lastWorkingDay) AS char(2)) + '/' + CAST(DAY(@lastWorkingDay) AS char(2))

+ '/' + CAST(YEAR(@lastWorkingDay) AS char(4)), 101)))

GROUP BY dbo.DEC_TXN.CUSTOMER, dbo.DEC_TXN.STATUS , dbo.STATUS.STATUS_DESC

ORDER by dbo.DEC_TXN.CUSTOMER, dbo.DEC_TXN.STATUS

IF (SELECT     dbo.CALENDAR.isWeekday

FROM         dbo.DEC_TXN INNER JOIN

dbo.CALENDAR ON CONVERT(varchar(8), dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD, 112) = CONVERT(varchar(8), dbo.CALENDAR.dt, 112)

WHERE     (CONVERT(varchar(8), dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD, 112) = CONVERT(varchar(8), GETDATE(), 112))) <> 0

BREAK

ELSE

SELECT @lastWorkingDay = @lastWorkingDay-1

CONTINUE

END

Any Help?

Kindest Regards,

Kashief

• Hello,

You have to be a little more specific. What is it really you want to obtain as result? And what is your input? From your example query (that I assume does not work as you want it to) it is very hard to try to decipher what you ask us to do...

Happy hunting,

Hanslindgren

• There seems to be something wrong i here i replied thrice already and nothing went through.

I seemed to have solved the problem halfway.

I removed the SELECT from the while loop and put it out side then i only put the criteria set on onside which increments the loop counting days backward until it reaches the first weekday, then it breaks to the query outside.

Only problem is that it now includes one day to much but works fine for normal week days.

Eg.Easter weekend here includes monday and friday as a holiday

DECLARE @today datetime

SELECT  @today = '04/17/2006'

DECLARE @lastWorkingDay datetime

SELECT @lastWorkingDay ='04/16/2006'

WHILE    ( (SELECT dbo.CALENDAR.isWeekday

FROM dbo.CALENDAR

WHERE CONVERT(varchar(8), dbo.CALENDAR.dt, 112) = CONVERT(varchar(8),@lastWorkingDay, 112)) <>  1  OR

(SELECT dbo.CALENDAR.isHoliday

FROM dbo.CALENDAR

WHERE CONVERT(varchar(8), dbo.CALENDAR.dt, 112) = CONVERT(varchar(8),@lastWorkingDay, 112)) <>  0)

The above code checks if today is not a weekday

then moves on to increment to the previous day in the loop

BEGIN

SET @today = @today-1

IF ( (SELECT dbo.CALENDAR.isWeekday

FROM dbo.CALENDAR

WHERE CONVERT(varchar(8), dbo.CALENDAR.dt, 112) = CONVERT(varchar(8),@today, 112)) =  1  AND

(SELECT dbo.CALENDAR.isHoliday

FROM dbo.CALENDAR

WHERE CONVERT(varchar(8), dbo.CALENDAR.dt, 112) = CONVERT(varchar(8),@today, 112)) =  0)

BREAK

ELSE

CONTINUE

END

The problem is that the loop needs to break out just before the last working it looped back to, it includes everything from the wed 07:00am before easter which it should not becasue this report is run daily. It was run for wed already the thursday before easter.

Its kinda difficult to wrap ur mind around this, just remember that if the query is run every working day it includes evrything from previous day 07:00am

hence:

SELECT @today

SELECT     COUNT(*) AS [COUNT],

dbo.DEC_TXN.CUSTOMER,

dbo.DEC_TXN.STATUS,

dbo.STATUS.STATUS_DESC

FROM       dbo.DEC_TXN INNER JOIN

dbo.CALENDAR ON CONVERT(varchar(8), dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD, 112) = CONVERT(varchar(8), dbo.CALENDAR.dt, 112) INNER JOIN

dbo.STATUS ON dbo.DEC_TXN.STATUS = dbo.STATUS.STATUS

WHERE     (dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD between DATEADD(hh, - 17, CONVERT(datetime, CAST(MONTH(@toDay) AS char(2)) + '/' + CAST(DAY(@today) AS char(2))

+ '/' + CAST(YEAR(@toDay) AS char(4)), 101))AND GETDATE())

GROUP BY dbo.DEC_TXN.CUSTOMER, dbo.DEC_TXN.STATUS , dbo.STATUS.STATUS_DESC

ORDER by dbo.DEC_TXN.CUSTOMER, dbo.DEC_TXN.STATUS

so i now need assistance to play around with either the variables or the timing of the calendar so that the weekends and the holidays are included. 

it must only start from 7:00am the previous working day if it is a normal working day

AND

it must start including records from 7:00am the day before easter Friday (Thursday)

At the moment my query is including everthing from the previous wed. 07:00am

Kindest Regards,

Kashief

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply