Failure to login during SP2 install on Cluster

• I am trying to install SP2 on a SQL 2000 cluster. I start the installation on the active node. WHen it gets to the point where it wants me to login, I choose sql authentication and enter the sa password...it tries for a few seconds but then fails saying "Setup was unable to validate the logged on user. Press retry to enter another option, or Cancel to exit setup.

• Can you go to the EM to verify your SQL Server authentication mode?

• Yes, I have no problem logging in using EM or query analyzer. I found this on google, can anybody back this information up. Supposedly problem is because of long name temporary directory??:

1. Go to command prompt
    2. Make sure you have a one-word temp. folder
    (suggest C:\TEMP)
    3. Type in:
    SET TEMP C:\TEMP
    SET TMP C:\TEMP
    4. Switch to folder where sp2 files are
    (still in command window; i.e. CD \SQL2KSP2 )
    5. Type 'setup' to launch sp2 install.

Edited by - ivy on 10/28/2002 1:45:34 PM

• I have not seen this as a problem, however there is a log file generated that should give details as to why or at least a good idea. Also, there is a command line switch for setup that will step thru.

• Still cannot apply service pack. Here is what the log file says:

05:18:26 c:\temp\SqlSetup\Bin\scm.exe -Silent 1 -Action 1 -Service MSSQLSERVER -StartupOptions \-T4022 \-m

05:18:37 Process Exit Code: (0)

05:18:37 C:\sql2ksp2\x86\BINN\osql.exe -S SQL2000CLUSTER -n -d master -Q "exit" -U sa -P

05:18:37 Process Exit Code: (1)

05:18:59 c:\temp\SqlSetup\Bin\scm.exe -Silent 1 -Action 6 -Service MSSQLSERVER

05:19:19 Process Exit Code: (0)

05:19:22 Setup was unable to verify the state of the server for an upgrade. Verify the server is able to start and that you provided a valid sa password and restart setup.

This was run from the active node. PS. SP1 was never installed? Could this be the problem?

• You don't need SP1. Suggest you login into the active node with a domain administrator account and try to reinstall the SP2. Make sure this domain administrator account is in the local administrator group on both servers and BUILTIN\Administrators account is in your SQL Server login and has 'sa' privilege.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply