Failure sending mail: The specified string is not in the form required for an e-mail address.Mail will not be resent.

• We have a job that sends out a pdf once a week and every now and then we get this error message. I have tried to rerun the report but I get the same error.

Where do I start to see what is causing this?

• lcarrethers (9/23/2016)

We have a job that sends out a pdf once a week and every now and then we get this error message. I have tried to rerun the report but I get the same error.

Where do I start to see what is causing this?

Is the list of addressees static?

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
    - Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

• You can look in the email system tables to see what was attempted to be sent. That will show you both the recipients list and the error.

Also, Phil's question is important. If the list is static, then all you should have to do is edit your procedure to fix the list of recipients. If not, then you'll need to determine what's messed up in the table from where you query the recipients and fix it.

• No it isn't static.

I made this change and it is working again.

In Reporting Services, user-defined subscriptions that are created according to the permissions granted by the Manage individual subscriptions task contain a pre-set user name that is based on the domain user account. If you are using an SMTP server or forwarder that uses e-mail accounts that are different from the domain user account, the report delivery will fail when the SMTP server tries to deliver the report to that user. To troubleshoot the problem, please refer to the following steps:

1.Please navigate to RSReportserver.config file: <drive:>\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server MSSQL.n\Reporting Services\ReportServer\RSReportserver.config.

2.Backup the RSReportserver.config file before we modify it, open the RSReportserver.config file with Notepad format.

3.Set SendEmailToUserAlias to False.

4.Set DefaultHostName to the Domain Name System (DNS) name or IP address of the SMTP server or forwarder.

5.Save the file.

• lcarrethers (9/23/2016)

No it isn't static.

I made this change and it is working again.

In Reporting Services, user-defined subscriptions that are created according to the permissions granted by the Manage individual subscriptions task contain a pre-set user name that is based on the domain user account. If you are using an SMTP server or forwarder that uses e-mail accounts that are different from the domain user account, the report delivery will fail when the SMTP server tries to deliver the report to that user. To troubleshoot the problem, please refer to the following steps:

1.Please navigate to RSReportserver.config file: <drive:>\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server MSSQL.n\Reporting Services\ReportServer\RSReportserver.config.

2.Backup the RSReportserver.config file before we modify it, open the RSReportserver.config file with Notepad format.

3.Set SendEmailToUserAlias to False.

4.Set DefaultHostName to the Domain Name System (DNS) name or IP address of the SMTP server or forwarder.

5.Save the file.

And here I thought it was just a database job that calls a procedure and sends an email.

Glad to hear you got it working.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply