Failover Clustering using virtualized servers, is it possible?

• Hi,

I would like to test SQL Server 2008 Failover Clustering on an virtual environment. This would be a 2 nodes cluster active / passive. Using Windows Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008.

Is failover clustering compatible with virtual machines?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• I am pretty sure it is

In the 70-443 Microsoft Press book, their practices all use Virtual PC as platforms

Much easier to setup for OS, virtual IP, virtual names, and etc..

2008 may be tricky just because Windows 2008 is new, SQL 2008 is new, everything is NEW...

but Virtualization should not be the obstacles, heck, give Hyper-V a try even

SQLServerNewbieMCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
  • Absolutely! It's how most of us learn about clustering during the certification paths... it's cheaper than real servers!

• Yes, however you want the virtuals on separate physical servers if this is a production server.

also , be sure you have good IO. If you are making two VMs and sharing a disk with other VMs, you are asking for issues.

• Thanks gentlemen for your advices. It's amazing that Windows 2008 could be clustered using VMs. I was afraid that the OS would be very picky about hardware requirement.

As for the VM infrastructure, I am leaning forward Linux based solution. Probably KVM.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply